Re: Check that corrective pack which came from the Microsoft Corporation

In message , Paul Sansom writes

DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT IN THE POST ABOVE IT IS A VIRUS!!!!!!!!!! > >

No shit Sherlock!

(I went away for 4 days and there was 887 of them waiting for me when I got back)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Paul Giverin mumbled:

Amazing, isn't it. Here we are, having (most of us) weathered a major storm of virus particles and he's just noticed.

Wonder if he's really called Rip Van Winkle.

Reply to
Guy King

I never saw anything, not even the OP mentioned above. That german news server seems very efficient at keeping the crud away.

The Dervboy.

Reply to
DervBoy

Amazing, isn't it. Here we are, having (most of us) weathered a major

I just set the option to delete anything with Microsoft in the subject line. Don't think Bill will be writing to me anyway. Also added a couple of others such as 'update' and 'patch' No problems since (apart from a British Gas pop up on MS news page which won't go away). DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

In message , DervBoy writes

All the recent crap came by e-mail not news. The e-mail addresses were all harvested from newsgroups. I don't know what was in the OP because as you say the Berlin server strips all binaries from posts.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In article , snipped-for-privacy@giverin.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

You lucky bastard. Averaging 1000-2000 since the weekend.

Filtering works to a degree, but the fake Bounces have just enough variety to slip through.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

spouted forth

for me when I

enough

You're right. I filtered all the obvious ones out on the first day. On the 19th, I received about 80 of them. Since then, every day I've had to add more filters, to filter out 'Bug Error', 'Error Advice', 'Failure report', 'Net Mail Delivery' etc etc. So many permutations, that I now have about 50 filters in place. Seems to have done the trick. My mail filter log today, shows that about 400 were sent, but only one got through. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Set a size limit of 100k. Unless you're expecting pics or large documents.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Never thought of that.

Might add that one

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Mozilla Thunderbird picks up the ones that slip through my ISPs filtering as spam --- single click deletes them all without danger. Although for variuos reason I still have OE on one PC Thunderbird is my Mail/News client of choice under both Windows and Linux.

Reply to
awm

Don't want to appear ignorant, but is that a build of Mozilla, A product based on it, or an add on to the standard Mozilla package.

Still using Mozilla 1.0.1 and Evolution on Linux when not at my Windows PC at work (using the Dev box).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Found it. Looks cool so far. Just got to get round to importing, and sorting all my original mails.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Even if you are! I have a maxsize set to 100k. Anything bigger I can choose to download, delete, defer or just get the headers. I suspect you can too if you're using POPstar.

However the flood seems to have subsided now. I'm just getting some 15k versions.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Porter

Thunderbird (news & mail) and Firebird (browser) (formerly known as Pheonnix) started out as branch offs from Mozilla in an attempt to produce lighter faster apps, in the period since AOL pulled the plug on Netscape Thunderbird and Firebird became the main Mozilla development line for next generration of Mozilla Both are still in development but pretty stable, easy to install in both Linux and MS -- worth a visit to mozilla.org

Reply to
awm

Yep, found them. The junk filtering is excellent.

going to give it a go over OE (I use OE on the work machine to collect mail, and leave Outlook to handle the work based Exchange account).

Seems slow, but pretty solid.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yes, but don't some MS thingies download automatically when on line as some are all day?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hi "MeatballTurbo"

Last weekend was the worst for me, i gave up counting at 10,000 !!!!!!!!.

Reply to
Steve Sweet