Re: Cheeky Barstewards.....

In news:1ggtua8.12vd6gn7h42p8N% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I submitted a couple of my registration numbers to a site to get a > rough idea if they were worth anything. >

Right, I've just requested a quote for the reg on the XR4x4.

They've got one that's very very similar for £2150, and one that's not quite as close for £550.

Reg on the XR virtually reads as "DAEWOO" which, let's face it, isn't good.

Reply to
Pete M

I sold my Audi reg for 600 quid 454 FKE to newreg.com, and done a part ex on my new reg which cost 300, its now on the site for £3000 well the next number down.

Reply to
Ron

I tried to get a quote on the brothers LC "MN 2" but its an isle of man reg so aren't normally transferable. Bet it'd be worth a few quid. I was offered £850 for "H15 SGT" that was on a 5 turbo i nearly bought, it sold for over

2k afterwards.

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there!1992 Renault 19 16v - Williams 2.0 with a turbo, oh yes!

Reply to
Chet

i wish i brought the MK1 MR2 on ebay with the plate "MR2 16V" must be worth a fair bit!

Reply to
Vamp

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

£5?
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

scroll down on his original post - that nearly got me too ;-)

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Yeah, spotted it Noms snipped reply.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

In news:Z2CIc.1771$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net, Pete M decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Well, they've offered me £399 upon completion of sale... which means I get £399... which happens to be £38 more than I paid for the Sierra... bargain :-D

Reply to
Pete M

The transfer fees are covered by the person buying the plate..... they're taking a clear £150 profit for doing absolutely sod-all.

Shame I don't know who wants the plate, as I would happily flog it direct to them for £200 - saving them £75 and the VAT.

Reply to
SteveH

They're not doing sod all though. They're introducing you to people who'd want to buy the plate. If they give you cash before they've sold the plate then they're taking a risk on it not selling as well.

Which is why what they charge isn't excessive. It's better to get £125 than nothing at all.

James

Reply to
James Grabowski

I'd prefer to keep the plate and not get the £125 if it means dealing with rip-off merchants like this.

The thing that really pissed me off is that I was considering asking for a part-ex price against a plate we did want (wife's initials) - but finding out that their price is £110 more than buying direct from the DVLA.

It's not as if they even own the plates they're selling - which is especially cheeky with the DVLA sourced plates - all they do is take an order, buy plate from the DVLA then re-sell to some unknowing punter at a hefty £100 plus profit.

The less people who do business with sharks like this, the better.

Reply to
SteveH

What on earth are you on about? If you're stupid enough to buy from them, it's your lookout. They're doing nothing illegal or even morally questionable IMO.

Reply to
Doki

I was thinking that, surely its a business trying to make a profit like any other?

Reply to
Dan405

They're taking advantage of those who don't know you can go direct to the DVLA to buy a plate. They're advertising things they don't actually own - I'd love to know what they'd do if they took your money for a plate and then couldn't secure it from the DVLA. Reckon you'd have a bit of a fight to get a refund if that happens.

OK, so it's buyer beware, but a lot of these plate resellers make it sound as though they're the only people you can buy a plate from, which is decidedly dodgy advertising, IMHO.

Reply to
SteveH

Making a profit on selling stuff they don't actually own. Which is slightly odd, to say the least.

Reply to
SteveH

Very enterprising idea i reckon :)

Reply to
Dan405

Agreed 100%.

Take the money ! If you don't want the plate, then it's a free £125 !

Um ?

Reply to
Nom

Course it's not - they're making their profits on their advertising service !

They find someone who wants to buy your plate - it's this service that you're paying for, and this service that they make their profit from.

To put it another way : They've established that your plate is worth £125. You get all of that money. The extra £150 paid buy the plate's buyer, pays the company for their advertising and service.

I can't really think of any other way for them to make money !

Reply to
Nom

Huh ?

I cannot go to DVLA to buy L*** HAN, because YOU own it ! If I want that plate, then that company is my only option (assuming you agreed to let them sell it for you).

Reply to
Nom

Yes, in the case of my plate you can't buy it anywhere else.

In the case of **** KJH, which I'd been looking at buying, they charge a massive £100 on top of the DVLA price for it.

This is the bit that annoyed me the most, so I won't sell my plate to them out of principle.

Reply to
SteveH