Re: decent locking wheelnuts ?

> Never a good idea to use more than one locking wheel nut on a four stud > car

> > or two on a five stud car. Locking wheel nuts/bolts don't torque up the > > same an an ordinary wheel nut/bolt, > > Huh ? Of course they do ! 100Nm is 100Nm - whether the bolt has a funny head > or not, is irrelvant.

The problem comes when the tool wears out, the tool gets lost or the nut gets damaged. When they are at 100+NM it is very hard to get them off...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fish

Mine do but they don't have a middle in the wavy hole so I suspect it's possible to use a bed of nails in a socket or just a flat plate against two sides.

I don't think it works. They don't appear to bother trying to undo the locking nut! On a hidden camera video shown on TV although quite dark the tactic seemed to be get all the normal nuts off with a brace. Lift car and judging by how quick it happened, yank wheel diametrically opposite last stud. The leverage ratio is from stud to tyre wall and stud to hub edge the other way - about 12 or 13 to 1. This stretches the remaining stud, which comes lose (or stud just breaks) and is taken off by fingers. Wheel off and away down alley.

This is why some people put two locking nuts/studs on one wheel, the thief can't get good leverage against one due to the other, it takes around 6 times the effort due to two studs and unadvantageous lever ratio - about 12 to 3 on a 4 stud (5 stud not so good). By fitting different types of nut/stud to the same wheel it increases the amount of equipment the thief needs and importantly slows them down - they have to get at least one locking stud/nut off. They have to case the car up and then come back with the stuff they need. For this tactic to really work the locking devices should be of completely different types.

Peter Hill

didnt think about that. but then, with peter hills post, shows thats locking nuts aint no good anyway.

all it takes is a detmined theif and there no longer your alloys....... or atleast alloys no longer in your possesion.

best is probably a steep hill? i cant see a theif towing a car to a flat spot just to nick alloys.

-- tim

Reply to
Tim Draper