Re: diary of a BMW driver

connection, driving their cars is somehow akin to flying a jet fighter. They also have a trucks devision (Scania), I wonder why they don't mention this!

Reply to
andypdq

connection, driving their cars is somehow akin to flying a jet fighter. They also have a trucks devision (Scania), I wonder why they don't mention this!

Because they know Conor is a truck driver.

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

And Scanias are overpriced and not very good.

Reply to
Conor

Or perhaps because Volvo own 1/8th of Scania and I think VW were having a sniff around a few years ago too. Volvo wanted to buy out Scania completely but the EU blocked it.

Reply to
Conor

Subaru have also decided t

Reply to
Mark W

Shitty small cabs with no storage space.

Reply to
Ben Blaney

Crap seats, low MPG and expensive parts.

Reply to
Conor

At least the cows think that the car is an aircraft.

Reply to
Johannes

The message from Johannes contains these words:

Never knew fighters had leather seats.

Reply to
Guy King

A long time ago, I used to cart hay and straw in an A series ERF with

120 Gardner, David Brown ( Aston Martin, or white tractor) 6 speed crash box, and two speed axle and useless brakes.Did 19 mpg, better than trucks these days, and about 50 mph max . Seat comfort was greatly improved by adding straw or a hessian corn sack to the cuishon. All drivers should do their driving test in one of these, would cure the throttle and brake mentality of todays " I assume everything will work correctly" drivers. Cold starting procedure was to remove one of the two oil bath air cleaners and fire the parafin blowlamp, kindly supplied by the boss, into one of the inlet manifolds. Then drive the first 5 miles with a huge cloud of white smoke following you, those were the days!
Reply to
andypdq

Yeah...summat to do with carrying bugger all compared to trucks these days and modern trucks are required to be able to do more than 50MPH.

WOW. My hat off to you. We have it too easy.

Reply to
Conor

No, really, you bloody do, you. :)

Reply to
DervMan
50 mph was on the flat, it went much faster downhill !, average speed was much faster than today, as there was much less traffic, ha ha. Max load was 10.5T or thereabouts @ 16T gross which for a 4 wheeler is probably as good as today, cos they are sooo much heavier. Cornering was a brown trouser experience with extra load on canopy over cab. Not as fat as truckies today, handball, not forklift. Gave up truckin and became a self employed plumber, ( got fat! ) better money and start work in the morning rather than in the middle of the night before. BTW progressed to AEC with 200ish BHP and turntable drawbar trailer, try reversing one of those, artic men, much better truck, I'm sure I'd be much better off in a Scania, however crap the seats are.
Reply to
andypdq

A 4 wheeler will return roughly the same fuel economy.

YEah...we don't have all day to waste taking off 8 packs of 4x2 one at a time - lol. There's 10,000 lorries less than 50 years ago shifting

2.5 times the amount 5 times the distance. We're a bit busy. :-)

Mind you, I admit a bit more work wouldn't go amiss but I pull enough 1 tonnne pallecons off the back of a fridge a week to keep me happy.

I have. A mate of mine ran a wagon and turntable drawbar exactly the same. Took him an age to get it and once he had, he could stick it into places you couldn't get an artic in. A sight to behold. I just about managed to reverse it round a corner and in a straight line the length of 17 shed on King George Dock in Hull. Saying that though, the trailer was alot shorter than the wagon which made it alot harder.

Reply to
Conor

When I was trotting to Italy for a job, I had to take out local day-work in one of their A-frames while they loaded my trailer. I got quite good at it after a while, but the learning was horrible.

Reply to
Ben Blaney

( snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Probably because the trucks division has been nothing to do with the car company for years. Mind you, the car company is nothing to do with the aeroplane manufacturer, either.

Reply to
Adrian

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And it manages to keep your figure as svelte as it is, right?

Do I recall a mention of 18.5st?

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Oh, one of the skinny buggers.

Reply to
Guy King

When I was trotting to Italy for a job, I had to take out local day-work in one of their A-frames while they loaded my trailer. I got quite good at it after a while, but the learning was horrible.

Reply to
andypdq

Aeroplane and cars...

The embattled British Leyland/Rover cars was handed over to British Aerospace sometime in the 1980's, I think for one GBP. The then UK Trade Secretary thought that there could be some synergy between the two engineering strands that might rub off on the car production. He had probably read some SAAB brochures -LOL!

Things didn't quite go after his head and British Leyland was sold again to BMW who had another go at it. By the way, BMW also have aircraft ancestry. It didn't work either, so the company was handed to Phoenix consortium in the UK for 10 GBP. It worked up to a couple of months ago when it folded. Shanghai has now purchased some of the company and manufacturing rights...

Reply to
Johannes