Re: Friends, Northerners, Scotsmen, Scousers, help me out here!

Depends on the contract you've got. But yeah, our Streamline system is far from free.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Well, welcome to the modern world, two thousand and six. It exists in places other than North Yorkshire.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Are they doing it on Ebay where it is specifically prohibited?

Reply to
Depresion

Ebay are just upset as they loose out on a fraction of final value fees. Shame - not!

Reply to
Ed

Right ok..

That may be true, since I don't work in that market.

Not if your a member of the FSB, which alone covered its cost in what I saved on my company insurance.

Don't know what your doing here, I pay a fixed £15+vat a month for the terminal and rental. I can have a mobile one for £30/month but that does need a deposit.

My streamline is about 1-1.4% cheaper for Visa and Mastercard than if I was using paypal. All debit card transactions are below 35p/transaction which is MUCH cheaper than paypal. I would have to be doing a monthly card turn over of 15K through the card machine on paypal to bring it close to the same rates. Another bonus is its easy for me to speak to a human, and I don't stand the risk of being shafted at any moment like other unfortunate paypal customers have, oh and I get my money quicker.

Reply to
Ed

Streamline works out alot cheaper for me. Oh and it has decent customer services too...

Reply to
Ed

Okay. now I know you're lying.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Chaps. Very much instant. Costs but often worth it.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Depends very much on the situation. I still maintain that as long as it's possible to go to the local high street branch of your bank, withdraw cash, walk into the branch of whatever bank the receiving account's held with, and pay it in, having it clear into that account the same day (or possibly first thing the next business day, if it's later in the day, or after 3:30pm or whatever), then given that doing it that way costs the banks a lot more, in terms of overheads, etc, then they shouldn't be charging extra for the priveledge of *not* screwing both parties out of the interest over the 3 or

4 working days it takes to do the transaction electronically.

Obviously there's the convenience factor, and that not everyone will be able to afford the time to pop down the high street (especially if they're nowhere near a high street with the two relevant banks present, though if it's relatively small amounts of cash only one of the banks needs to be there as the cash could be got from an ATM), but my general point is that by doing an electronic transfer as opposed to manually withdrawing + handing over cash at physical banks, the banks are *reducing* their overheads, and they reward people by making them wait at least 3 days for the money, screwing both parties for the interest, and only giving them the option to have the electronic transaction happen quicker if they fork out even more money.

I don't know - is it just me that thinks there's something wrong with that?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Not just you. They're supposed to be making electronic transfers quicker - the OFT told them off and they agreed in December to do it in 24 hours, and now they've got to change the software. Which might take 2 years :-(

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Meaning?

Reply to
Conor

That even if one does live in such a picturesque crime-free place as Driffield, there are still people out there that will happily screw money out of you. There's trusting people, and there's completely failing to look out for yourself, which is just daft.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It means there is no such thing trust in the South East.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Whereas across the border, we welcome it with open arms.... :-D

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Seems to be a helluva lot more common where you come from, given that neither you or the buyer of your lot trusted each other enough to complete the sale.

By the way, did you know it was against Ebay T+Cs to charge extra for paypal? (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

And that equates to welcoming someone screwing you out of money with open arms, does it?

I had been made aware of that fact, and I'd advise you to inform someone who gives a f*ck :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Erm, they have no legal avenue.

You seem to have PayPal T&C confused with law, PayPal terms and conditions are an arrangement between you and PayPal. You are not legally responsible for someone doing a chargeback, you are not the one who took the money back so you are not the one who owes it them.

What happens is they they huff and they puff and, well that's about it really. You'll get your account closed.

Oh f*ck off.

HTH as well.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Not your problem, no funds, no exchange. The whole scenario screams run away.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Well yes. If it happens more often, people generally must like it. I daresay the average person only welcomes it once.

Language Timothy!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Well, they could go to the small claims court..... which wouldn't be a nice experience.

Reply to
SteveH