Re: Muffler design

I want to fabricate muffler for my Fiat 126 (two cylinder air cooled

> 650cc engine). Actually it is not street legal, I am building tubular > chassis, and I am trying to get Harley sound out of it. I knew that is > not possible, but I want to get as near as possible. > > Anyone knew an URL where I could get more info on subject? Not > necessarily how to build Harley muffler, but muffler in general (For > DIY, not something complicated).

Get a race can (muffler) from a motorbike and fabricate the middle pipes (between the header and the muffler) yourself, or get a local exhaust maker to do it.

Reply to
SteveH

INCOMING!!!

Reply to
EZ

Don't Harleys make that unique sound due to the V configuration?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Partly, and partly because of the crank angle. ie. it's possible to make a parallel twin sound like a V-twin by using a 270 degree crank.

Don't know what the angle is in a 126, but I can imagine one with a hot cam and free flow exhaust will sound 'interesting'.

Reply to
SteveH

I doubt it's a real request with a few x posts but set to follow up to just urcm.

Anyway the best way to get the Harley sound would be to fit a Harley engine but if you were doing that you would be better looking for a decent bike engine as HDs are American and therefore haven't moved out of the stone age in engine technology terms, there are some nice options in the BMW bike line-up including a flat twin or two or go mad and fit an 1800 flat 6 pot goldwing lump unless you fancy a nice British monster with a unique sound of it's own and fit a Triumph Rocket III engine, ok so it's built for the US market so don't go expecting jap style 135bhp/L as it's got a car like 61bhp/L but those 101.6mm pistons make it sound like you have just started a small bomb.

Reply to
Depresion

Nedavno SteveH pise:

| Get a race can (muffler) from a motorbike and fabricate the middle | pipes (between the header and the muffler) yourself, or get a local | exhaust maker to do it.

I was considering this, but it seems that shipping costs from US to where I am are to high (for me), so I was thinking of making one. Looks are not that important. Also I am not looking for exact copy of a Harley sound. Just something that is as close as possible.

I found at eBay a lot of baffles for sale, so I was wondering if I can get a pipe and stick a baffle in pipe. Is that all that is needed? Surly it must be more complicated?

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno Depresion pise:

| I doubt it's a real request with a few x posts but set to follow up | to just urcm.

English is not my native language, so I am not sure I understood what you wrote here. I posted my question to few NG-s where I thought I could get help. I also set follow up to to this NG, I thought that you should do that when you x post.

| Anyway the best way to get the Harley sound would be to fit a Harley | engine but if you were doing that you would be better looking for a | decent bike engine as HDs are American and therefore haven't moved | out of the stone age in engine technology terms, there are some nice | options in the BMW bike line-up including a flat twin or two or go | mad and fit an 1800 flat 6 pot goldwing lump unless you fancy a nice | British monster with a unique sound of it's own and fit a Triumph | Rocket III engine, ok so it's built for the US market so don't go | expecting jap style 135bhp/L as it's got a car like 61bhp/L but those | 101.6mm pistons make it sound like you have just started a small | bomb.

I have Fiat 126 that is the base of my project. If I had money for HD, BMW or Triumph Rocket I would not do what I am doing. I got plans for (Fiat 126 based) some sort of dune buggy from Australia, and I want to build it. And I would like to get it to sound good, and sounding good for me is a Harley sound.

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno EZ pise:

| INCOMING!!!

?????????????????

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno SteveH pise:

| > Don't Harleys make that unique sound due to the V configuration? | | Partly, and partly because of the crank angle. ie. it's possible to | make a parallel twin sound like a V-twin by using a 270 degree crank.

As I wrote I am not looking for exact copy, just something that sounds like Harley.

| Don't know what the angle is in a 126,

Two cylinder flat engine.

| but I can imagine one with a hot cam and free flow exhaust will sound | 'interesting'.

Probably to loud for my taste.

Reply to
Yvan

I don't think you're likely to get all that close, to be honest.

Yup, this much I did know..... however, does it fire evenly? - ie. every

180 degrees? - I *think* it does, but can't be sure.

It can never be too loud.

Reply to
SteveH

Yvan Muffler, didn't he race in the BTCC???

Reply to
Pete M

It s a very simular engine to a Panda 30. You can use the engine with some tin work bashing to give a 126 a big lift.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Not much point in going with the 652cc Panda '30' engine.

If you're going to do that, best off going with the 850cc Panda '34' engine.

Reply to
SteveH

Nedavno SteveH pise:

| > As I wrote I am not looking for exact copy, just something that | > sounds like Harley. | | I don't think you're likely to get all that close, to be honest.

I just like that rumble. If it can not be done - I'll live with it. | > | Don't know what the angle is in a 126, | > | > Two cylinder flat engine. | | Yup, this much I did know..... however, does it fire evenly? - ie. | every 180 degrees? - I *think* it does, but can't be sure.

I think it does.

| > | but I can imagine one with a hot cam and free flow exhaust | > | will sound 'interesting'. | > | > Probably to loud for my taste. | | It can never be too loud.

:-) Can I buy just a baffle of eBay and stick it in the some pipe?

Reading your previous post again what is a "hot cam"? Free flow exhaust would be a pipe with nothing in it?

Reply to
Yvan

A 'hot cam' is a reprofiled camshaft that alters the valve timing to give better performance.

A 'free flow' exhaust would be one without any restrictions - in the case of your proposed 126 project, it would be straigh through pipes from the exhaust header to a motorbike muffler.

Reply to
SteveH

Nedavno SteveH pise:

| A 'hot cam' is a reprofiled camshaft that alters the valve timing to | give better performance.

Thanks. I am not looking for performance, just sound. And i like how tubular chassis (dune buggy style) looks.

| A 'free flow' exhaust would be one without any restrictions - in the | case of your proposed 126 project, it would be straigh through pipes | from the exhaust header to a motorbike muffler.

Sort of like it is now, just it is not motorcycle muffler, but a standard Fiat muffler. Or is it called muffler?

It seems that the best thing would be not to fabricate muffler, but to buy one? Since Harley has 1.2 liter, and I have 650cc engine do I get one muffler and connect both pipes from exhaust header to it, or would one muffler per cylinder sound better.

Reply to
Yvan

A 'hot cam' will improve the sound, too....

You call it a muffler, we call it a silencer or 'back box' on a car, or a 'can' on a motorcycle.

Don't worry about getting 'cans' from a Harley - just look for a 600cc sportsbike race can.

Reply to
SteveH

Nedavno SteveH pise:

| > It seems that the best thing would be not to fabricate muffler, but | > to buy one? Since Harley has 1.2 liter, and I have 650cc engine do | > I get one muffler and connect both pipes from exhaust header to it, | > or would one muffler per cylinder sound better. | | You call it a muffler, we call it a silencer or 'back box' on a car, | or a 'can' on a motorcycle. | | Don't worry about getting 'cans' from a Harley - just look for a 600cc | sportsbike race can.

OK, thanks for your help.

Reply to
Yvan

There are plenty of cheap ones on ebay, and you won't be needing 2 as the fiat won't be shifting anything like as much air as a 600cc bike but nothing you can do will make it sound much like a Harley.

Reply to
Depresion

No, that was Gabrielle Torquewrenchi

Reply to