Re: my new phone

Tom Robinson

Kerching, hand the man a cee-gar.

And if needed to (say) take a photo in the street, the crap 1.3mp offered by phone cameras would be bloody useless.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So why on earth does he use a portable DVD player, a portable MP3 player, a portable phone, etc. etc. ?!?!?!?!

As he said, his on-the-move requirements are taken care of by a Laptop, an MP3 player, a camera, and a phone.

As I said, they aren't very portable without a suitcase - hence the need for a phone that does everything.

Why am I repeating myself ?

If you didn't need the above to be portable then you'd be using a standalone DVD player in your house, a seperates MP3 player or a PC, a telephone on a cord in your home, etc. etc. !

The whole point of an all-in-one phone is so that you DON'T need to carry round a suitcase full of gadgets !

Reply to
Nom

So you don't use portable devices then.

So you don't need your portable MP3 player ? So you don't need to watch DVDs on your laptop ?

So what are we even discussing ?!?

Reply to
Nom

You missed the "walking down the street" bit. Just because something's portable, it doesn't mean its sole use is for walking down the street using it. A portable DVD player could be very handy in a hotel room, or perhaps in the car (obviously not for the driver to watch whilst driving), but would be a right nuisance to use whilst walking down the street, as, well, I like to look where I'm going when I'm walking down the street, not focus my attention on watching a DVD.

They're probably portable enough.

Why am I repeating myself?

What if you had to spend a few nights away from home in a hotel, or maybe a long train journey? Just because a portable DVD player or laptop isn't pocket-sized, it doesn't make it unportable. A laptop or portable DVD player would be more than manageable for the purposes of watching a DVD on the train/plane, or in a hotel room, whereas taking the full widescreen TV setup with you might be a tad on the inconvenient side.

But generally speaking, if someone wants to take photos, they might possibly care about the quality, and be much happier using a decent, whilst still fairly portable, digital camera, rather than a phone with inferior resolution. Generally speaking, someone isn't going to want a portable DVD player to be portable to the extent of pocket sized to walk down the street with, and generally speaking, an I-pod is small enough to manage with as well as a phone, and holds a lot more MP3s than your average phone, with a whole lot more functionality to boot.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Now you're just arguing semantics.

If you want music, calls, movies and photos on the move, then a smartphone of some type is the only suitable device - period.

...but it won't take photos or make calls. So you'd have to carry a Camera with it. And a phone. And suddenly you have three devices to cart around. And they all need their own mains chargers. And. And.

See ?

...and it won't take photos or make calls.

Really ? Bloody hell - you have rather a different definition of "portable enough" than I do !

I'm not sure - you seem to be attempting to say that a Camera, and a Phone, and an MP3 player, and a laptop, and the four mains chargers they require, and whatever other bits and bobs they need, are portable enough to fulfil all mobile needs.

Infact, they're about as portable as a 32" CRT TV :)

See above.

I agree, and that's why I own a seperate digital camera :)

Yep - replace "iPod" with "Camera" in that sentence, and you have my exact situation. And that's it - two devices is my limit. If I wanted extra MP3 functionality, then I'd buy a better phone - I'd never consider the third-item-to-carry-around that is the iPod.

Reply to
Nom

That's a bizarre leap of the imagination.

I don't use the devices while walking down a street, TBH only fuckheads use a walkman/MP3 player on the street, because the word for these people is "victim." But having an MP3 player capable of providing decent quality sound (i.e. not a phone) is handy if you travel a lot as I do. Also useful if you want to get all 20 hours of a language lesson onto something small enough to carry around in one's luggage.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, but if you wanted to listen to the odd bit of MP3 music, it does you no harm having a semi decent player built into your phone, given you tend to get given the phone for free these days anyway, unless you're a PAYG pikey... and my new one takes cards up to 256mb, meaning a previous objection to the limited capacity that all the previous mobiles I've had, has been overcome - I can fit a decent amount of music onto multiple cards.

As I've said elsewhere, not the primary reason for my choice of phone... in fact I didn't even know it had said cards when I bought it... I was just pissed off with the Motorola I've had for the last six months, and wanted to go back to a Nokia!

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Which model nokia? Nearly all support 512mb cards, some 1gb

Reply to
Chet

6680... MMC cards, I believe.

I'm not one for reading the manual... and so drew that conclusion from what cards seem to be offered on ebay, and even that was a brief half hearted skim through anything that came up on a search for '6680'. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Not really. Who watches videos whilst walking down the street?

Well yes, if you want all of them on the move. Personally I'd rather get a decent camera, and you can get some very compact decent quality cameras. You've maybe got a point on the MP3 front - but I'd still take the i-pod with me wherever I went, and leave it in the car/hotel room/whatever, and ideally have a phone that I could transfer mp3s to from the iPOD.

Not really. 4 mains chargers really don't take up *that* much space in a suitcase. You wouldn't have to "carry it around with you" any more than you'd be carrying around a week's worth of clothes, and toiletries, etc.

I wouldn't want it to.

Maybe so - to me it means portable enough for the purpose. A portable DVD player and it's charger wouldn't take up that much room in a suitcase, compared to clothes/toiletries/etc., so yes, it is portable enough. Cameras and phones are much smaller, because they are the sort of thing people tend to carry on their person. Generally speaking, a portable DVD player isn't. You follow? It's a hell of a lot more portable than carrying around a home cinema setup.

Bollocks. A camera, phone and an MP3 player would take up no more than about 2/3rds of the footprint of the average laptop, and wouldn't take up much space at all in a car/suitcase, in the grand scheme of things.

I'll refer you to my above statement, given that you seem to be completely missing the point.

It's "separate".

Well that's your choice and you're entitled to it. My problem is that I can never decide what I want to listen to, so I'd rather have a larger choice, rather than restricting myself to 256MB worth or whatever, as inevitably I'd want to listen to something that isn't on the rather limited selection on my phone. So I'd personally take the iPod.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Bastard, i want one of them. I have a 6630 at the min. It more than likely takes the mini-mmc cards

Reply to
Chet

Indeed. I was especially pleased I had a camera phone when I spotted a van advertising 'flange renovation' in large letters on it's side.

(I later found out they were railway engineers)

Reply to
SteveH

A lot of the latest phones with SD card slots are perfectly good MP3 players. Not used the one on my phone yet, but I have been known to use the MP3 player in my PDA before I bought an iPod.

Reply to
SteveH

Is there much difference between them then?

The chap in the shop told me that were basically the same, but I knew the

6630 had been out a while, plus wasn't that keen on the actual design of it.

He still came through from the back clutching a 6630, mind, as we went to sort out the deal... so I sent him back through to get what I asked for. :-)

They're pretty small, black, and clip together with another bit of plastic, when you want to stick them in a card reader - makes sense?

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

LOL!

Well of course... that would have been my initial assumption, too... ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Yea to be fair you have turned into a tosser :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

The entire picture is both fuzzy and distorted. Not to mention grainy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No it isn't... you're being overly critical, given no-one is claiming to be able to rival David Bailey, using a camera phone.

If that was depicting someone's car buried in the side of his, it would be of a more than adequate quality to illustrate the actual accident scene, as well you know.

Whether it would be admissable in court, is a different matter, but... one would hope that having that sort of imagery to hand, when your insurance company is putting your case to the third parties, assuming they're at fault, it's less likely to go any further, rather than the more usual your word against theirs, that it invariably ends up in these days.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Nicer design (more normal) it has a flash and a dedicated camera on the front for video calls. You have to use the desktop stand with the 6630 for video calls. I used to buy new phones every 4-5 months, sim-free but have calmed down lately. I think i got my 7650 on release day and paid around 600 quid for it...

Sounds about right, about the same length as a sim card bit wider.

They don't seem to do them in 1gb sizes yet, only a matter of time.

Reply to
Chet