Re: OT:Speeding

Ok, so my first time in wales working for years and I was caught

> speeding, the NIP arrived this morning 41 in a 30, but I need a > little help as I am going to contest it. > > Firstly are black and white 30mph signs legal?

They are if they have red circles round them like the one in your first picture. The rectangular ones that don't have any red on them that you sometimes see on tight slip roads are not binding AFAIK.

Secondly the 30 MPH sign was 2 car lengths from the speed camera on a > dual carridgeway

From counting the cones, the camera looks to be about 150 feet beyond the red tarmac section and that's about 100 feet beyond the speed camera and 30 sign.

Braking from 50mph to 30mph should take about 2s and roughly 140 feet if my Google skills can be trusted.

Was the preceeding DC section 50mph or 70?

Do i contest, or take it on the chin?

It was in a coned area where workmen /could/ have been. I think if you contest and lose, 3 points and £60 could look like a bargain.

Reply to
Grant

You're making things worse for yourself with that one.

They're 300 yard countdown markers to a 30mph limit.... which means you've had plenty of warning and time to slow.

Reply to
SteveH

speed signs on the poles, markings on the road, more speed signs and camera signs on poles, and then a camera. Hate to say it but it looks like you got fairly busted.

In traffic, they seem quite far apart, and further than you describe. Did they seem much closer together 10mph above the limit?

Reply to
Elder

In nearly 20 years of driving i have never been done by a speed camera or otherwise, I don't speed in a 30 or anywhere for that matter lol, it was impossible to get down from 50 to 30 in the space that is really the lenth of that bridge you see, it does look much tighter than it looks on camera, trust me :)

Reply to
Ronny

But on the last picture you posted doesn't it show 30mph countdown markers and warnings of roadworks before you get to the bend? I'd just take it on the chin. Or you could try contesting it with your pictures and get done for careless driving instead ;-)

Reply to
Homer

'fraid I have to agree. I used to live round there and regularly drove that road.

It does come after a long fast stretch, but the signs are pretty clear and knowing what Wales is like for cameras, you really need to pay attention to the countdown signs. If you ignore them then yes it's tricky to slow down quickly enough under the bridge - lots of skidmarks there, always - but why did you ignore them?

(I usually found that if I wasn't on top form just there all the other cars slowing drastically gave me a clue...)

Reply to
PC Paul

You will not win if you appeal, you might also drop yourself in it for admitting you were not looking at the road signs or keeping a reasonable distance from other vehicles in order to stop if required. What would you have done if there had been two lanes of slow moving cars? Just hit them because your brakes and reaction times are not good enough for driving. I would suggest you were probably approaching at nearer 70mph and were in a hurry so not concentrating. That's probably why you couldn't brake in time for the clearly visible signs and huge yellow camera. The legal department are now checking every location and advising on particular signs, just to avoid any doubt. Getting caught out is easily done. I was speeding along at 40 in a 30 and didn't even notice a speed camera van, but managed to slow in time. That was more luck than anything and I haven't had any tickets for 20 years. The one day I put my foot down is the one I nearly get done.

I would advise you to take more care, maybe get your eyes tested regularly and if you need to - wear glasses for driving. So many people "think" their eyesight is perfect when it isn't. It also helps to see police cars, speed traps and signs from miles away.

If you appeal, please post here to advise of the result.

Reply to
vince

According to the highway code safe *stopping* distance from 50,

53 metres (175 feet) or 13 car lengths

A 3rd of the distance you reckon you had, and you only had to slow down. And that distance was based on a minor or A40 or Anglia aged vehicle, with crossplies and drumbrakes all round I thought you drove a duetsche awd alles uberwagen, not a sunday giffer mobile.

Reply to
Elder

Umm well, those signs are laid out with adequate warning and vision for you to slow from 60mph to 30mph. That's a legal requirement. If the speed limit had been higher than 60 which it could have been on a dual carriageway then there's a requirement to place a 50 before the 30 (ACPO

30mph rule) but in your case you were alread in a 30 limit and were being asked to reduce your speed by just 20mph. That's easily possible in the distance shown and you only had to reduce your speed to 35mph to avoid a fine.

Look down at your feet next time you are driving. Note how as well as the throttle, you have a brake. Lift of throttle, apply brake. Not very difficult is it?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Rubbish. blind bend, to 30mph from 50 and taking into account actually seeing the 30MPH sign when your driving round a blind at 50+ MPH, I slowed on seeing the 30mph sign and went through the camera at 41mph, I never applied my brakes as it would have been dangerous to do so, more dangerous then entering a 30 mph zone at 40 mph

Reply to
Ronny

signs are pretty clear?

Yes a dirty great 30mph sign 150 yrs from a speed camera, try it if you live near, come round the bend, see the 30MPH sign, lay off the gas and you will go through the 30 mph sign at 40mph +

I didn't really take no notice of the grey signs there was 2 of them and unless they are red are just advisory, and even if on hitting the first

30mph advisory sign I started slowing,

Or are you supposed to brake when hitting a 30mph sign from 50?

I was under the impression you were required to slow to 30, the same driving through a orange red light, if it unsafe to stop then continue through.

No other cars were on the road, it was early morning, the day i took the pics it was busy, i was just surprised at how short the distance was from the 30mph sign and a camera, especially as there is no school etc near by.

Reply to
Ronny

No, you look at the warning signs counting down to the 30mph limit that are visible before you even got to the bend and adjust your speed accordingly. The one clearly visible on your picture is the first, there should have been two more before you even got to the 30mph limit. From the last picture you posted you had ample warning that you were approaching a 30mph limit.

Homer

You may want to stop digging that hole sometime, you're in way over your head. There was more than adequate distance to slow. All you're proving now is that you should send your licence back to Swanswea with a note saying that you are too stupid to drive.

Reply to
Steve Firth

There was your mistake, refuse to work in Wales, I do. IFAIAC Brunstrom is a self imposed damage to there economy.

If you consider that close then stay off the A520 in Stoke (I'd say stay out of Stoke all together it's a crap place) NSL single carriageway into 30 zone round a bend with no countdown warnings then a camera much closer to the limit change. Bet it makes a fair chunk of cash. (There is the same at the other end of the NIL limit and the other end of the 30 limit where it comes in from a 50, then again at the end of the 50 when it becomes 30 again and that's a nicely hidden camera as well.)

Reply to
Depresion

No, you're supposed to brake before the sign and pass the sign at 30mph.

Are you really as ignorant as you are making out?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thx for your opinion.

Reply to
Ronny

The whole picture series is damning. Count down markings giving 300 metres in which to slow down to 30, a big "30" painted on the road and

30 limit signs with a warning of speed cameras ahead. Despite his claims that he couldn't see the 30 limit sign, it's clearly visible from at least 100 metres back on a straight stretch of road (even if one ignores the countdown markers which is difficult to do). And then there are the repeater signs with 30 and a camera logo and the other hazard warnings and a line of cones FFS.

How much warning does it take to register on even the dimmest brain that there's a limit there and a damned good reason for it being there?

Reply to
Steve Firth

They may not issue the photos unless you wish to go to court.

Reply to
Elder

You do know that you are supposed to be doing 30 as you pass the sign, that is the point the limit changes, not when you slow down. You are supposed slow down in preparation.

If you do contest, saying you didn'y see the countdowns and markers and warnings, they might have you for lack of due care and attention.

Reply to
Elder

We do but...

The 30 limit sign I can see in the photo:

is black lettering on white background WITH A RED BORDER, a proper regulation complying speed limit sign. Even on a big yellow square to help you see it better and a picture of a speed camera below to warn you of their presence.

You need to ask?

Reply to
Conor