Re: Paging that lot wot know Computers.

In news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, Ronny decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

"Pete M" wrote in > message news:43b39f0f$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org... >> Can anyone explain to me why my PC suddenly decided not to recognise >> its video card? > Do you have on-board graphics? if so disable it in the bios, if not > you need to remove all traces of the ATI drivers, this is what > happens when you load alot of different drivers, the registry gets > confused and throws a wobbley.

Was still using the same drivers its had for a year or so. Was working fine until kaput. Not on-board.

> ATI make a special tool to remove everything so you can start again, > run this tool then rebooot then download the latest drivers radeon > catalyst from the ATI site.

Did that.

Still sees its arse and crashes if the vid card is enabled.

-- Pete M

Alfa 155 Ford Capri (still broked) Porsche 911 3.2 (For Sale - ebay soon) COSOC #5, OMF#9 Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain

Reply to
Pete M

What you want to do, is put all your documents and OE folders etc on a separate hard disk, and point Windows to that hard disk for it's "My Documents" folders, and the same for OE (or whatever superior email program you use). Then copy the installation CDs for all your regular software onto that hard disk, and any downloaded software - makes it much easier to reinstall stuff in future.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In news:bwitf.9284$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net, AstraVanMan wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

I might well do that next time.

Oh, better make it this time.

GWFF!

Reply to
Pete M

Aye, it'll be dead handy when I need to reinstall windows again (30 days after the last time....) - all I'll need to do is back up a couple of specific sections of the registry before self-destructing, and make a list of the software I've installed other than the usual suspects of Office/usual drivers etc.

?
Reply to
AstraVanMan

Never understood what people do wrong. Installed Windows 2000 as soon as I could get it on my main PC. Changed processor and motherboard and graphics cards multiple times since, and yet never re-installed windows.

Machine runs for months on end without reboot - is used for web, office, as a mail and FTP server and for games.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

This has for years, but I think the video card is about to kark it in a large stylee.

I think it's got about as much life left in it as a Rover 600 rear wheelarch.

It's been bloody ace until this.

Reply to
Pete M

More than an Alfa 75 bootlid then?

Significantly more than a Lancia Beta...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Or partition the existing disk into Windows and Data partitions and keep the programs on the Windows partition, everything else on the data partition. It makes life much easier.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Aye, I thought of doing that, but I may well be buying a whole new PC soon, so having everything on a physically separate drive seemed a good idea. Plus I wanted to read up a bit on the ideal size for partitions (wrt cluster sizes and stuff) so at the time I just left as is.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Or take a ghost image of the C drive once you've finished installing stuff on it...

Reply to
Tom Robinson

My friend convinced his girlfriend to buy one of these. He told her it would be reliable. *shudder*

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston