Re: Stupid garages.

I sold a Rover 420 to my Brother a while back. I'd fitted uprated

> brakes to it (grooved discs, EBC pads) because they were s**te > especially on the daily 1 in 6 hill I used to encounter.

I put grooved disks and Mintex pads on my 414 for the same reasons - Garrowby??? Other thing was I used to drive it flat out all the time, braking from just over a hundred in that car was not entertaining on the standard brakes.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Always amuses me how *some* people class uprated brakes and suspension as a chav scum type mod - I put black diamond discs (don't ever buy a clutch off the faulty bastards by the way because they don't know how to make a pressure plate that doesn't hit the housing) and pads on my old primera GT and the difference was incredible - i did braided hoses at the same time. That car could stop, used to feel like the back end was lifting off the floor. There's so much I want to do to this vRS but don't want to ruin it.

Reply to
JohnR

Agreed, uprating the brakes is a legitimate worthy car modification right opposite the "put blue discs on the washers" chav stuff.

Indeed, if you upgrade the engine, you ought to be considering upgrading the suspension and brakes to match.

My old tr7 has Capri 2.8i discs instead of the little ones it had. Brakes better than my Scorpio, which is no slouch given the ABS and discs all round (and that's with drums on the back of the tr7).

Aftermarket isn't necessarily better but I'd assume Conor put proper ones in there and made them work, in which case this is poor advice from the garage in question.

Reply to
Questions

Certainly were proper ones. Garrowby Hill can be done without hitting the brakes at all apart from a dab to drop the speed off before the double S bend at the bottom but the trouble is most of the time you end up sat behind someone riding the brakes all the way down the hill so they get a bit toasty by the bottom. The early Rover 2/400's weren't reknown for the best of brakes to begin with.

Uprated brakes,suspension and flexis tend to be on my list of things to do on most cars I get. Makes them so much more driveable.

Anyways... Went to garage and spoke to bloke. Isn't it funny how the bin man always comes just before you arrive?

Reply to
Conor

Well I can say for certain that almost every car has lots and lots of scope for improvements, and those that don't will - eventually.

But at the end of the day, I'm puzzled as to why you're reading this newsgroup at all?

Seems a bit like reading alt.music.barry.manilow when you have vowed never to listen to his records.

Reply to
Questions

In news:6zgGd.622$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-win.ntli.net, Mb decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Are you for real?

Let me get this straight. If you improve the brakes on your car, you make it more dangerous?

Are the brake pads in your car made by the manufacturer of the car, or are they made my an outside company that supplies the manufacturer?

Has your car had the front pads replaced in its life? If so, were they genuine manufacturer parts, o.e. parts, or just pads that fit?

Not necessarily.

I agree about the huge wheels and subterranean ride heights.

Unfortunately there will always be the minority that think that making a car look good is better than making it handle better.

Reply to
Pete M

Its become apparant from your posts you are clueless as to car modifying, and also a bit of a tosser. Feel free to leave.

Reply to
DanTXD

You're right. He shouldn't trust my work at all? After all I'm only City and Guilds qualified with main dealer experience and once upon a time used to run my own rally car.

If he didn't declare it thats his fault. He was told about them when I sold him it.

ROFLMAO. You are kidding aren't you?

Reply to
Conor

If you feed it, it will stay.

Reply to
Maxwell Bygraves

Bollocks. Go and find a Ka with solid disks. Stop it from high speed a few times, or try carring a few passengers. Go and find a second Ka, with the vented disks, and do the same. Now tell me that the best parts for the first car are the original disks, pads and calipers from Ford.

Reply to
Doki

Garages are only ever as stupid as the customers they get. Otherwise they'd go out of business.

Reply to
fishman

Garages are only ever as stupid as the customers they get. Otherwise they'd go out of business.

Reply to
fishman

Garages are only ever as stupid as the customers they get. Otherwise they'd go out of business.

Reply to
fishman

Garages are only ever as stupid as the customers they get. Otherwise they'd go out of business.

Reply to
fishman

"Doki" wrote

Alternatively, don't Find a Ka if you've read this group. Statistics show that 66% of ukrmods readers demolish their Kas.

Reply to
fishman

Obviously one of the garage mechanics thought they'd be nice on his car ... thats where you'll find them now!!! When you ask for them back ... they will say "oh our rubbish skip has been emptied". So .. just before you ask, look for there waste recepticle, normally they have a company name on them ... phone this company and say "hi, its jack here from xxxxx garage ... can you tell me when you last emptied our skip/bin". They won't check you are who you say you are .. but they will tell you when it was emptied.

And you can tell the folk in the garage to look in the bin that hasn't been emptied since wednesday.

(It worked for me once).

Reply to
Mr Fix It

Quite possibly.

Er, they were the correct brakes for the car. Read the post again !

Quote possibly.

What on earth are you talking about ?

Are you saying that you have to declare the work to your insurers, everytime you replace worn parts ?!?!?

Are you having a laugh ?

He didn't want a different car. AGAIN, read the post again !

Agreed.

What relevence does that have to this thread ?

Meanwhile, back on the ranch :

AGAIN, what on earth are you talking about ????

What relevence does that have to this thread ?

Are you a numpty ?

Reply to
Nom

Yep, precisely why we're feeding !

These troll types are great fun :D

Reply to
Nom

-snip-

Garages are only ever as stupid as the people who use them, otherwise they'd go out of business.

Reply to
fishman