What is the WORST handling car you've ever driven?

Drove an old shape Ford Mondeo 2.0 GLX company pool car the other day that was absolutely f****ng scary, the brakes were totally s**te and if you tried to go around a bend in excess of about 35mph the tyres squealed like pigs. Tried a racing start and the f****ng rev counter was up to about 5000rpm and the useless piece of Dagenham pig iron was just stood still with it's tyres nearly on fire!!

Jesus Christ those things must weigh about 5 tons!

The really bad thing is that I had to drive this BEAST of a car from Newcastle to Staffordshire. AND back again.

Oh, and next to it in the company car park was a Pug 406 V6 estate that some lucky twat had beat me too....

Reply to
Me

MkIV Escort 1.6 GL 'Plus'.

Reply to
SteveH

MK2 Escort 1.3L.

Reply to
Conor

At least the MkII had RWD.

Reply to
SteveH

I loved my MKII 1.3l everyone needs to try a rwd car at some point, much more fun to drive than my 306.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kent

LOL, funny you should mention that, the works old van. Can't remember what it was, but a fairly new Citroen diesel small van.

Can't exactley describe what the problem was, but the clutch had no bite point, it was all of nothing. If it wasn't for diesel torque, I reckon I would have stalled it every time.

It got put out of it's misery though. The guy who drove it most of the time got "Forced off the road" on the M602. Reckon he fell asleep as he couldn't describe the car that forced him over.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

The old 4 and 5s were called "door handle cars" because they corner on the door handles, and had the gear stick (mixing bowl) gear lever sticking out of the dash. It was vaguely connected to the gearmixingbox... Brakes were almost non existant, and the van version was worse. Especialy with a ton of sand in the back. It was like a sailing trip rather than driving.

Reply to
Burgerman

1985 Renault 5 1.4 TL. First time I went round a corner I thought I was going to fall out the side window.
Reply to
Grant

Heh, that was my first car, well a GTL to be presise!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

um my nova probably

quite happy to admit that but short wheel base front heavy and too much power is always a bad mix

Reply to
Rob

Shame about the antiroll bar.

Reply to
Conor

My first car, was a Renault 6... basically a more angular 4.

Not had anything since, that could scare your passengers at such low speeds. :-D

Reply to
JackH

Erm, they handled quite well, actually.

I suspect Sir is inept when it comes to power sliding round sharp corners if he thinks otherwise, and yes, mine was only a 1.3 as well.

Reply to
JackH

Only if you don't bother to sort the suspension / brakes out properly, at the same time.

Reply to
JackH

My dad borrowed one of those early 5's with the umbrella handle shifter. Kind of combination left/right twist and push pull.

Very weird.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Probably my dad's Lada.

Most disappointing is really the Audi TT cabrio - it wobbles, it understeers, it's skittish and it's generally dull.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Brand new 2001 Renault Espace 2.0 16v.

So bad, it was comical.

Reply to
Nom

No, even if you do.

This is a Nova we're talking about.

Reply to
Nom

Seconded - I used to drive these regularly at work, and they were highly amusing. I'd always try to get the lone 1.7TD Astra van instead - so that REALLY says something about the Escorts !

Reply to
Nom

"Nom" snipped-for-privacy@Somewhere.Somewhere wrote

And a mythical one at that