Replacement Hella lamp units

For a BMW. The sort with optional electric adjustment to lower them when the car is loaded. They come supplied with a sort of plug which acts as the lower pivot for the reflectors, and you remove that and replace it with the motor if you have this option. According to the diagram. By turning it in either direction. Except that I can't budge either of them. And it's not a good shape to use a tool like grips or pliers on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are they similar to MK2 Golf lamps? They're hellas and you can generally just abuse the adjusters off with pliers or a screwdriver.

Reply to
Doki

Have you tried removing the entire lamp housing (with both lights) and looking at it on the bench? You'll need to take the plastic grill off first, then they come off pretty easily. I've flogged a few on eBay (and thrown a couple away recently). The adjuster threads are prone to corrosion, whether motorised or not.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

They're actually new units and yes I've looked at them on the bench. The adjusters themselves (allen screws) are fine. This adjuster is the electric one (control on the dash) for lowering the lights if you carry a heavy load. It's an optional extra, so you have to fit the motors from the old units. They fit at the bottom of the reflector assembly while the other manual adjusters work on the top - making a sort of three point suspension, all ball joints. I can see how they attach by removing the bulb connector rubber covers, but just can't budge the non adjustable unit you replace with the motor. And don't want to break anything. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)