Replacing number plate - document mix-up

What do I need to get a new number plate in this situation:

My licence plate shop says they need to see both logbook and driving licence. They say that they will have to use the address shown on the driving licence when reporting the transaction to the DVLA. Is it possible to have the address on the logbook used when reporting?

Thanks for any info. More details follow.

Pete

========= DETAILS ==========

The situation is that I own a 17 year old car which is registered in my name at my original home which is where I sometimes drive it. I have got another home since then and I live in the new home. My licence shows the address of my new home.

I have tried looking through

it is mostly written in legal-ese and anyway does not seem to cover the process of recording the transaction.

Reply to
Peter Rossiter

Info at

Regards, Graham L

Graham

Simply put, your other address is wrong, it's not your address any more. The correct thing to do is update the DVLA document with your new (current) address. You can still keep the car at the old address, just that any reminders / summons would be sent to the place where you actually live.

Apparently >What do I need to get a new number plate in this situation:

Reply to
Sales!

Sales! wrote:

If I change the address of the vehicle to be where I usually live then I imagine the insurance company will get confused and rate that car for a different area than the one where the car is kept.

How do I overcome this potential follow-on problem?

Reply to
Peter Rossiter

You're not changing the address though, they're reporting that you who live at the one address have a bought a number plate for a car registered at a different address.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Go to a shop with less morals. There are plenty around.

Reply to
Lordy

In practice, they do not report the transaction to the DVLA. They just have to keep a record.

They are obliged to prove that you are entitled to the plate (hence seeing the V5) and that you are who you say you are (hence the driving licence).

I can think of no good reason why the two should differ if they are both up-to-date.

Having said that, they may accept additional ID proving you also own/work from the V5 address.

Talk to them and explain the problem.

Reply to
Alan

Your driving licence is where you live, the vehicle is registered where it's kept. Personally these are two different places.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I think Lordy gave the best advice -go to anothe place where they are less fussy. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The DVLA want the address of the registered keeper, even if that is different to the address where the vehicle is kept. Sending a reminder to 'waste land opposite the Crown' is not going to work very well.

You should notify the change of address to DVLA and your insurer, and tell your insurer where the vehicle is normally kept, if that is not your new home address. If they have an on-line quote engine, see how much the change might cost you.

like the one you want.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

by completing you insurance proposal accurately, truthfully and completely

informing the insurer that the vehicle is stored at the location it is stored at!

Reply to
Martyn Hodson

The addresses need not be the same: "The purchaser of a plate does not have to be the registered keeper."

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

You could try this place in Ireland, they say they don't require documentation. Never used them, so can't give a recomendation.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Dodds