Require in-line plug for car electrics - Help!

Can I get an in-line plus for car electrics which will safely supply enough current to run approx a 10W bulb?

I am thinking that there may be some something like a kind of jack plug and socket arrangement.

The jack socket (or whatever it is) would be attached to a car electric wire and it would hang loose. A lamp would plug into the socket when needed.

Does such a plug & socket thing for car electrics exist?

Thanks

Vance.

-------

[c.c. to relevant uk car groups]
Reply to
Vance Roos

Yes there are various things that you can use, and at least some should be available from your accessory shop, probably hanging in one of those blister packs. 10W = less than 1A, so you don't need anything special. You may find something that plugs into the lighter socket or similar.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Depends on whever it's going to get dirty or not. Almost anything you can buy will cope with a 10W bulb

Reply to
Duncan Wood

XLR audio connectors would be fine for this - they'll handle about 10 amps. You can get them in male and female, line or chassis mount for well under a couple of quid each at Maplin etc. They have the advantage of a good cord grip so will stand rough handling. They lock together, but if you don't want this you can remove the latch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I can't use a lighter socket because this is for the boot area.

My concern is that such a plug and socket arrangement may short out unless it is desgned specifically not to.

Do you know what in particualr I should ask for?

Reply to
Vance Roos

I checked out the XLR audio connector at Maplins

They seems a bit too heavy duty for what I want.

Is there anything a bit lighter?

Reply to
Vance Roos

Or if you want to do it properly use a trailer socket. The blue wire (No 2 ) is 'Aux' power. Or - Rally cars use "Anderson plugs", these are available in lots of sizes from mini up to 700 amps.

use the following ones in some aircraft 'ground power' applications.http://www.andersonpower.com/products/mp/sb.html

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

It won't short out if you wire it correctly, i.e. the socket must be wired into the car and the plug on the lamp. We used to be taught "pins point to power". The same principle obviously applies all the way up the scale. you wouldn't wire a mains extension lead so that there was a plug on the end and a socket on your power tool would you?

If you're still worried you could wire a switch in series with your socket and turn it on just when you needed to use it.

A small plug and socket. you could try LSUK (aka Lucas)if you have one near you. Steve.

Reply to
shazzbat

They're not very large and pretty strong which I'd find an advantage if it's left lying around.

There is the pukka low voltage plugs as used on many wall warts etc, but they break easily. Have another look at Maplin under Power Connectors, but they're also a bit small to get normal car wiring into. The other one you might look at is their BJ 38. Whatever you end up using make sure you fit a suitable in line fuse to the outlet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I know this may sound like a smartarse connection, but others have mentioned a cigarette lighter. You could plumb in an auxiliary lighter socket under the carpet from somewhere up front (if load is small, even from the original lighter), and bring it out in the boot. If you use a big plate behind a bit of trim, cut a hole for the socket, and mount the plate to the back of the trim, you'll end up with a universal (unless you're french) socket in a place you want.

HTH?

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

You could have a look at caravan dealers

Peter

Reply to
ph12