Riddle me this...

I'm planning to go see my mum in Switzerland in October and due to various requirements like dropping Ann off at the Zurich airport etc means that we can't take the 911 or the Elise because neither has the luggage capacity. Which would leave the Golf but I'm again toying with the idea of replacing it...

So, the parameters for the replacement would be:

- up to 2.5k

- Comfy and quick enough for long distance driving

- Must seat four people and have enough space for their luggage. An estate would be even better

- Preferably rear wheel drive

- If it's almost invisible to plod and customs, that's even better. The more Q-car the better, actually. Stuff that makes me look like a pimp in need of a couple mo' hos is not acceptable.

- Reasonably fun to drive, otherwise I might stick with the Golf.

- Proper classics are fine if they're likely to survive 2000 mile round trips.

Lexus LS400s are out, Ann doesn't like them and I don't think they fall into the 'fun to drive' category. E30 BMWs are most likely out, too - boot too small/shallow to get Ann's big suitcase in.

So far a little fantasy shopping on pissed on heads brought up a couple of X300 Shaguars within budget and the odd slightly frilly BMW

6-series. I reckon I can get a decent E34 for that sort of money but something a little more leftfield would be cool.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Timo Geusch gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Apart from RWD, then what about a "proper" 900 Turbo?

(the white 2dr might be a bit pimp)

Reply to
Adrian

E30 325 Touring? or E34 Touring.

Reply to
Homer

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:12:42 +0000, Adrian yelled loudly:

I like the white one, but it's a bit HFM for one of the ugliest cars ever made.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Mike P gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

£1500's getting to entry-level for a good 'un now. Anything
Reply to
Adrian

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:36:14 +0000, Adrian yelled loudly:

The Red one looks very tidy. I should have kept my 4-door FPT. It was originally a Ruby written off in a rear end shunt, so they'd put everything from the Ruby into a mint maroon 4 door shell, uprated springs, dampers, brakes and it showed 207BHP on the rollers when I took it. Sold it for £700 when the T&T ran out and it was leaking oil from the head gasket at the back. If I'd had any foresight, I'd have fixed it and still be driving it now.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Isn't this a question you've asked before? In which case, Renault Clio R27 is the answer surely? (or if I'm playing the game properly rather than in honour of Dan, a BX).

Reply to
Clive George

I was following a late 'proper' 900 Turbo earlier on. Red one, sat low with the fat 3 spoke jobbys on. Think it was one of the sought after ones. Looked rather good.

Personally, I'm not a fan. Rather have a T5 Estate for half the price.

Reply to
Pete M

A6 Quattro Sport 2.8 :-)

Reply to
Pete M

Did I mention that I don't really like Audis?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I've had a 2dr and I don't like that body style (unless it's a

99). Actually I think that's a pretty good suggestion although I wouldn't say no to a 99 turbo, either.
Reply to
Timo Geusch

ere

*Ding*. Not something I've had yet. Looks ideal as a family hack for when the baby comes along though. Any tips on what to look out for?

cheers

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Neither do I, I quite like this though.

Reply to
Pete M

Prodding Autotrader I would be tempted by:

E39 540iA Touring CL500 XJR LPG Range Rover E320 Estate Legacy 3.0 Estate ZT-T 190

Reply to
Grant

No idea if economy is important to you, but I'd go for something fairly dull like an E class or 5 series, with a reasonably sized petrol engine or even a derv. If you get something a bit daft, then you'll have 3 cars that use juice at a fair rate, and nothing to bimble around in worry free.

I'd not want to pay to drive an X300 that distance. IMO the X300 isn't that great a car - they drive nicely, the inside is beautiful and they go like stink when you want them to, but they're not as super quiet as a decent run of the mill rep car these days, and they use juice at a stupid rate - I think I managed about 300 miles to a very big tank when I borrowed one for a few weeks. OTOH I'd much rather drive a thousand miles at a stretch in one than a MK3 Golf.

Reply to
Doki

Hmm. According to someone I know (who like me, is used to running rotary engines with their associated fuel consumption) you really want to run these on LPG.

One size too big for my liking

Can you get these within my budget?

Had one before, don't feel the need for another

Has potential if we're talking W124 here, but I'd rather buy a BMW

Again, is that within my 2.5k budget?

That's FWD though, isn't it?

Reply to
Timo on tour

Well, the Lotus is very good on fuel, supposedly does 40 to the head gas^W^Wgallon but I hear what you're saying.

Eww, that sounds like my Series III XJ6 that needed 10 gallons to go from North London to Stafford and another 10 to get back. We'll ignore the bit about using 2 gallons of oil at the same time...

Fair enough, even though we are talking Golf MkIV here.

Reply to
Timo on tour

W210 Merc E430, if it isn't rusty it won't rust (check carefully), plenty of go when you want it to, rear drive, engine will run forever. Cheap parts (if all the AMG kit is avoided).

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Probably true.

Uber Geneva-by-lunch machine though. Under 3k too.

I saw at least one for > E320 Estate

Not up on my W's. Was a '99 IIRC.

It was listed at sub-3k.

Yup, but still a quick Q-car.