Right then.

my sequential thing, but running

I'm not sure I can buy this as an excuse! I'm not having a go at you Carl, far from it - you have more experience with LPG in caers over here than I do, but everyone seems to mention that petrol engines here need to start on petrol or something. Horsecock. The pick-ups we had on the ranch in Canada were LPG only. They started first time every time, even in the depths of winter. Why would it become so much more difficult over here? It smells like bullshit to me!

(Obviously what I'm trying to say is "what's the noise with petrol starting?!")

Reply to
conkersack

Because of the -40c or so you get from liquid to gas phase change when it is released from the tank, the evaporator is warmed by the cars coolant. If the coolant isn't warm enough you get the evaporator icing up solid. and potentially, depending on the mixture, freezing the coolant too (not very likely I know). The frozen evaporator can bugger up the internal workings and seals.

Reply to
Elder

I'm not having a go at you

I'm not sure it's as big a problem as it's made out to be then, because it certainly never presented any problems on the pick-ups. Maybe they had some sort of heating device built in to them, but they were certainly LPG-only.

Reply to
conkersack

I'm guessing some kind of electric preheat of somekind. Anyone know how LPG only fork trucks work?

Reply to
Elder

i'll go for bumble bee from transformers in new shape chevvy camaro form thanks :)

Reply to
Vamp

Almost certainly.

Reply to
DervMan

Could you not inject the gas in still liquid form a la nitrous systems? That'd avoid evaporator problems entirely.

Reply to
Doki

Always bearing in mind that the amount of heat required is a direct product of the amount of gas required. I know that's obvious, but sometimes people forget that.

So, my little Golf at 30mpg on Gas gives the vapouriser an easier life than a V8 at 9mpg. With lashings of antifreeze, I reckon I'm safe to run on gas

100% of the time (apart from a 5 second run on petrol every 15 minutes which the ECU is set to do, just to keep the injectors sweet).

Ultimate demo of the principle of gas turning to liquid and the heat absorbed in doing so.

Bob Sherunckle

That'll be liquid phase injection which I am advised the more modern Pauxhalls do.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I love the Kiwi beer cooler.

Reply to
Elder

They do, but apparently it doesn't work to well. I think that is why a lot of people who tried LPG will have tried it through a fleet vehicle with it working badly. Hence some of the daft opinions presented by the troll types.

Having said that, once "warm" pretty much any sequential system, and some single point systems will start on gas for the rest of the day. It tends to be first start that needs sorting.

Reply to
Elder

The guy I bought a few of my 360 bits from is an LPG engineer and has a well sorted 340 that runs on LPG only. If you're really interested I can ask him a few questions.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Would definatley be interesting to know. I would have another LPG car again, when running properly on it, the rangie ran better, and more economically on gas than on petrol, and that was a piece of shagged out nastyness with the ultimate pikie cobbled together messiness jokingly described as an install.

Reply to
Elder

Superb :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Liberty GT wagon. And I think I'll be getting one in about 6 months.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

You are right. I'm changing my mind to a Veyron.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston