RIP 200sx S13?

Decided to drive down to USC at Santa Pod yesterday and wish I hadn't bothered now. Got about 70 miles from home on the M6, went to overtake someone at 80 and suddenly all the power disappeared. Limped over to the hard shoulder and the car is jerking and rocking like a mechanical bull so I stopped, popped the bonnet and switched off the engine. Can't see anything obvious and there isn't any oil under the car so I let the engine cool for quarter of an hour then start checking pipes and connections and find the pipe from the intercooler to the inlet manifold has come out. Put it back and start the car and it starts idling at about 1200 rpm! Let it run for a couple of minutes but the revs don't drop. Decide to drive it a couple of hundred yards down the shoulder and there's no power at all, the engine doesn't come on boost (needle never goes above 0 on boost gauge) and I have to keep changing up gears to get a smooth ride.

Turn the engine off again and leave it for a good half an hour to cool down and try again, this time he engine runs like it's on 3 cylinders and there is no oil pressure so I shut it off and decide there must be something seriously wrong :-(

I call the AA but as I'm not a member I have to join first and also pay a surcharge for them to attend immediately, that costs me £105. When the guy arrives he looks under the bonnet, tries to take the cam belt cover off to "see if it's slipped around a bit" but doesn't succeed, starts the car and revs it a little, notices a slight rattle at about 2500 rpm, shuts the engine off and says it sounds like the cam or the cam followers and whatever it is it isn't a roadside repair. I ask him what he can do then and he says he can't take us where we're going or take us home because it's too far and we have the wrong type of cover. I ask if we can upgrade to the right type of cover and get home so he calls base and they say, yes we can but they couldn't take us home for 24 hours then.

Anyway, to cut a long story short the AA book us a private recovery firm at a further cost of £244 to get us home and we lost the money we paid for the hotel room because cancellations had to be made before 1pm. So it's cost us over £400 and I still don't know what is wrong with the car or how much it's going to cost to fix.

Anyone any ideas as to what the problem could be? Reading the forums on sxoc.com suggests the symptoms could be a sign of anything from under-fuelling, or timing, or leaky vacuum, to big end bearings or turbo failure! I'm going to go and look again today but I doubt I'll find anything I can fix easily so any pointers to a possible cause would be appreciated.

Andy

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

sounds like big end bearings to me going by what you said.

Reply to
Vamp

We need a new UKRCM sig....

'You're not a real UKRCMer until you've had your big end bearings go'

(I had the big end bearing weld itself to the crank on my s**te old

2-smoke bike this week)
Reply to
SteveH

Nah, it'll never catch on.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I don't know about that. I've never even seen a Rover 600 ti but I've had the big end bearings go in my Landcruiser. I guess that makes me a UKRMer. : )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Fraser Johnston decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I'm definately a UKRMer, blown up plenty of motors in the past.

Reply to
Pete M

The rattling at 2500rpm, is almost certainly what is known as the 'death rattle', in the SXOC.

Big end bearings - engine rebuild time I'm afraid.

Do what my mates doing to his... junk the 1.8 lump, and shoehorn in an RB26 twin turbo out of a Skyline... more power, *and* reliability.

;-)

Reply to
JackH

Buy spanners and sockets. Take apart, find worn broken bits. Get new bits / regrind or whatever and screw back together. You might learn stuff.

Reply to
Burgerman

...only that it's only a matter of time before it goes bang again. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

Like Burgerman says it's not hard, it just takes time. I've performed the task on several engines, plus you can check wear on other engine components.

Reply to
REMUS

Big ends went in my Honda CBX550 years ago, my first crank-out bottom end rebuild. Does that count ? :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

I managed to death both my Austin Maxi, and my Ford Capri by way of them throwing a rod through the side of the block. :-)

Reply to
JackH

The first big end change I did was on that bloody nexia...

Reply to
REMUS

Pikey and OT I know, but if anyone is wanting a winch for occasional use, then £39.99 for this one

like a bargain. I've no doubt it wouldn't be up to "vigorous" use, but it'll lift 250kgs...

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Lidl/Netto/Aldi is pretty Pikey, but some of the powertools they do are=20 damned good for the money for occasional use. And because people in=20 other countries are fussier about what they get for their money, and=20 they sell the same gear everywhere, it is better than some of the tat we=20 normally see in cheaper shops, and in catalogues.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

I bought a couple of cheapo angle grinders from Netto a couple of years ago. German made, but feel cheap, having said that, they've outlasted a MUCH more expensive B&D one that got much less hammer...

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Precisley

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Makita power tools are high quality items if you want something that will last. We use them on a regular basis and not one of the various models has malfuctioned, we are still using the original batteries that came with the wireless tools 3 years ago.

Reply to
REMUS

*round of applause*

See, it's not *that* hard, is it?