Rocket car

I have 2 pulse jets, They are jets, in that they need and burn air. A rocket has both fuel - solid or liquid - and the oxydiser so needs no air. Actually they work better in a vacuum.

Reply to
Burgerman

Nitromethane is "almost" a monopropellant in chemical terms too. But once fuel and oxydiser are mixed and set solid it becomes a mono propellant! At least for our simple descriptive purposes. It may be a mixture but its still a monopropellant. Like a firework. They work without air etc.

Reply to
Burgerman

Like the ones on the V1? They've got spring loaded flaps at the front so the fire goes the right way.

Are you thinking of a ram jet? (ah - there are non-valved pulse jets too, but the V1 is the one I think of normally).

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

No, not at all. It's a homogeneous bipropellant. The chemistry is still the chemistry of a reaction between two things, even if you've physically mixed them.

Reply to
dingbat

But the normal usage of the terminology is solid fuel = both oxidiser and fuel are solid, hybrid = solid fuel with a liquid or gas oxidiser pushed through the fuel. You can argue that a hybrid is a solid fuel rocket if you want, but I think if you started going about calling hybrid rocket a solid fuel rocket, people would think you were a bit tapped.

Reply to
Doki

Glad that we have someone posting to the group who appears to know what they are talking about!

Ken

I hope you are listening carefully. You might learn something.

Reply to
Elder

Yes indeed, certainly makes a change after you posting s**te about it having been a rocket car :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

I'd class that as "old" not "tame".

Unless the engine is an Adour in which case it's old and tame despite the afterburner.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Everyone has something to learn, and I am certainly no exception.

Ken

Sorry, did it again; too many letters! "Overwhelming" basically means "too much".

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Judging by his usage, I would say yes. He has a fair handle on the correct definition and conversational use.

Reply to
Elder