Running on veg oil - why ?

I don't get it now.

Before the change in the duty rules and when you could buy rapeseed oil out of tesco for 32p a litre I could understand it.

Now that it costs the same as diesel practically, what's the attraction ?

Or do some of you still harbour this strange idea about getting it used for free off the chippy and keeping it in your shed ?

Please educate me, if there's a good reason, I want to know - I'm your original skinflint, hence the LPG obsession :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Is it?

Then use white kero its about 39 pence a litre...

Reply to
Burgerman

Incidentally propane works (a little differently) on desiesels too. As long as youhathe normal "idle" deisel going in to ignite the propane at the correct time then all you need is a seperate propane injector in the intake, linked to an accelerator pedal.

Reply to
Burgerman

no it's not, well not if your buying pikey stuff or buy it in bulk! i mean even bio diesel is only 87p or so and there's a place that'll deliver by me too in nice plastic drums. lpg is quite pricey round here i noticed about 57p a litre. still i'm keeping the bm for now as i said but i want to change next year and it'll be something diesel + veg oil or petrol + LPG depending whats around really.

Reply to
Vamp

They still have 1 litre bottles of Pura at 56p. And Costco still have the 20 litre barrels at the equivalent of 77p a litre. Still a bit cheaper of you mix, and a hella lot cheaper if you convert to 100%.

If you buy either used filtered oil, or "unfit for food use" oil, it is still cheaper by a long way. One of the guys on the vegoil forums works in "exotic oils" processing. He makes stuff in a plant for cosmetics and alternative therapies. Usually 10-100s of quid a litre. But when it goes past a date where it can be used, it goes down the drain, or with the permission of his boss he "Disposes" of it. It is far purer than food grade, and he succesfully runs his Disco TDi on Lavender oil, and Evening Primrose oil, and even the base oil in that women's cure all Bio Oil. And yes, he does get a permfumed exhaust output.

Some of the advantages of using veg oil at high levels if the car will run it are, clean burn, lower emissions and less diesel rattle. And still the savings of a couple of quid on each tank. Downside is the finger in the air way of finding the right mix for your engine, having to mess with pre-filters because veg oil pulls all the crap and mess out of the tank on the first few thousand miles and needing to fit a filter heater if the maker didn't. But that just means raiding a Pug/Merc/VW and making your own filter mount if it doesn't physically fit in place of the old one.

Reply to
Elder

Buy Kerosene instead, you can even have it delivered and it will run without any modifications and doesn't cause any damage. Most people I know of who buy vauxhall diesels on the employee scheme do that, then sell the car on to make a profit. It's usually loaded with extras at the time of purchase to make the resale value high. Forget LPG and rubbish oil from a chip shop. Why pay loads of money for a conversion? I could give you a few places in Wales that Kerosene is on sale for far less than diesel.

Reply to
Ian

to be honest thats the only thing that puts me and my mates off a bit, there's a lot more messing for a veg oil conversion than a LPG conversion on a petrol. still once you got it right guess it makes no difference!

the kits for veg oil are a bit ott on price and i dunno if me or my friends have the knowledge to diy one together.

Reply to
Vamp

1) Too late - already running LPG. Cost £520 to convert.

2) I don't live in Wales.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

was that doing the conversion yourself?

Reply to
Vamp

Nice.

Nicer..

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

What kits? Just buy a s**te old diesel Volvo, bang veg oil in, drive it.

Reply to
Iridium

Easy answer, diesel owners are cheapskates who don't like paying for anything. There is no other reason for owning one - privately at least.

People who use LPG tend to like more amusing modes of transport.

Having said that, I know someone with a 1.3 Fiesta running on LPG. That's taking being a cheapskate to the limit, IMO.

Reply to
Pete M

Yep Aldesa RSI+ System with a toroidal tank in the boot.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

You need two 12v 3-way solenoid valves, some fuel pipe, a second tank, four T-pieces to fit into the car's water supply, and some copper pipe.

You T-off the water supply and run it to the tank in the boot. Add a third t piece close to the engine end of the water pipe Put the other t-piece on the end of this Coil the copper pipe up in the tank and attach it to the water pipe. Run the fuel pipe down through the water pipe through the T-pieces. Attach top the bottom of the second tank.

Then just add the solenoid valves into the existing diesel supply and return. Attach the fuel pipe from the second tank, and pipe a return back. Make sure the valves are set so that it sends from and returns to the same tank, otherwise you'll end up with a veg/diesel mix in both tanks ;)

Wire up the solenoid valves to a switch on the dash and you're done. Drive on dino, watch the water temp go up and then switch. 2 mins from your destination, switch back.

Easy. No, I can't be arsed either ;)

Reply to
Abo

There's a place in Sheffield that sells it below the prices for pump diesel with the duty paid, and they have pumps, so you're not pissing about too much. Assuming the saving's worthwhile - ie, a fiver or so a tank, I'll be putting some in the ZX. I'd not bother DIYing it with all the paperwork though.

Reply to
Doki

What paperwork? You can run up to 2500l of bio fuel duty-free under current rules. If you're e.g. running a 50:50 diesel/veg mix that's what, 100 tankfuls before needing to declare anything...

Reply to
Abo

I buy the veg oil in 15 litre cans from Asda, works out about 69p/litre and pour it straight in. You can use up to 2500l before you declare it. I reckon that'll get me about 23,000 miles at current mpg on the Xant. No kit, no paperwork. Works fine. So did all the other XUD diesels I've ran on it -

50/50% in winter, 100% veg in summer. It will run on 100% veg in the winter, but it can be an arse to start.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

You rarely need to spend loads of money on a conversion. Just buy the right car, that includes BMW, Rover, Range Rover, Landrover, Mercedes, Vauxhall, Ssangyong, Toyota, and Mitsubishi, and mix with a percentage dino diesel or other solvent thinners like petrol (at far lower percentages) and drive it with no other modifications.

Kero isn't included in the no duty below 2500litres in the same way that biomass based fuels and additives is. If you don't pay the vat and duty on it you are a criminal. Pay the VAT and duty and you save very little.

Reply to
Elder

Below 2500litres use/production per year, no paperwork, they can't handle it.

Reply to
Elder

Then I would be a criminal... But mines petrol and 10 to the gal in town!

Reply to
Burgerman