Saw something a bit unusual today.

And apart from the badging you wouldn't have guessed it was anything special.

Looked even less impressive than the Phaeton V6.

Bet it is interesting to drive though with all wheel drive.

Reply to
Elder

I remember seeing one in the showroom when I was getting my Passat back in

2003. They came as standard with every imaginable accessory. Then proceeded to lose value in fabulous style.

Who knows, some day.......

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

They dropped value like nothing else this side of an Alfa 166 initially, but appear to have levelled off the last couple of years.

Which is a shame, 'cos I really hoped they'd hit banger money one day. I have a feeling the exclusivity will keep prices high, though.

Reply to
SteveH

I reckon, as it is an all motion, and people have all sorts of toys for playing with VAG kit, a simple debadge and some sutble lowering/tuning could turn one into quite a subtle Q car/sleeper.

Reply to
Elder

Judging by the review and the performance stats, it looks spectacularly unexciting. Must be a lardy beast to be that slow...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

My Diesel 4motion wieghed a sniff under 1900Kg.

It has its own gravity.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Forgive Lordy's ignorance - he's used to driving cars with interiors that would embarrass Airfix ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

I even considered looking for one. Then I looked at a photo of one :-)

Reply to
Iridium

The fanboi's love any 4-Motion Passat, I am in the process of selling mine and have been inundated with emails :-) I am in the rare position of selling a vehicle I have done interstellar milage in without loosing that much money.

Reply to
Geoff

Take the badges off yes, mess about with the suspension, no.

Reply to
Geoff

Oh, I think mine lost money.

Cost 19 grand in Sept. 2003 (Cost Lombard Leasing 19 grand actually).

What's it worth now ?

Not 19 grand, that's for sure.

The day it was delivered was a fairly special experience though. The staff were virtually falling over one another to congratulate me on such an informed choice. (They were right of course...)

Anyway - that's history. Paying income tax on a car is a dumb idea. That's why I stopped doing it.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Depends what "messing about" with the suspension means.

If it means a set of JIC/LEDA etc fully adjustable coilovers, with proper rebound/compression damping setup, slightly uprated spings and a proper corner weight setup. Then all well and good. If it means a set LaxFlower badged springs, you are right.

Reply to
Elder

Holy f*ck.

Actually I have never yet had the pleasure of driving old Alfas :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

By that much money I mean there is still value in the car, my 4-Motion cost 24k and I should get 7k back after four years and 115k miles.

All my previous cars, with the exception of the Impreza sold for less then a grand after 3-4 years.

Reply to
Geoff

The 4-Motion has quite a involved multi-link suspension set up with electronic stability control, dicking about with coil-overs is not a good idea.

The car sits too low as standard, you can not straddle speed humps, I broke the engine undertray in the fist week of ownership.

Reply to
Geoff

...you sold 3 to 4 year old cars for less than a grand?!

Reply to
Iridium

Over the years and as trade in's the worst was a Cavalier SRi one of the last they made, over four years I did something like 230,000 miles, traded it in on the Impreza and got 500 quid.

I can almost guarantee it went to auction, was clocked and sold for a large profit, it showed no sight of it's milage.

Reply to
Geoff

In that case, it might need firming a little but nothing more.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Nah, sod that.

If you want bone-shaking ride, buy an Audi.

Leave a W8 Passat on something that resembles comfortable ride.

Reply to
SteveH

In that case, it might need firming a little but nothing more.

Alternatively, if you want a sporty car, don't buy a Passat heh.

Reply to
Iridium