Saxo VTR induction kit?

Will an induction kit noticeably improve the 0-60mph of my Saxo VTR (2001)? Or will the performance increase be negligible?

If it will significantly improve the performance, then by how much? And which is the best induction kit to get?

Finally, is there any other upgrade that I could do relatively easily and cheaply that will improve the acceleration?

Cheers

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

Nope. All it will do is suck in warm air from the engine bay, but will give you a nice throaty roar sound that will make you feel like you're driving a fire breathing monster ;-)

None.

Buy a better car with a bigger engine...preferably not a Saxo.

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Ever driven a 'hot' Saxo? As a nippy runaround for younger types, they're great, they handle well, and they go well. They just have a bad rep (mainly from people who've never driven one...)

Reply to
DanTXD

My neighbourhood drugs dealer drives one.

Reply to
Malc

No

Remove all unnecessary weight, spare wheel, tool kit, interior trim, sound proofing, almost empty washer bottle, no stereo, no speakers, drill holes in inside of all non structural panels (doors, tailgate, etc). For only the price of a holesaw and some of your time it will noticeably improve acceleration times.

Reply to
Homer

The message from "Andy K" contains these words:

It'll probably make lots of noise - if that's the sort of thing you like then you'll like that sort of thing.

Reply to
Guy King

His mark-up must be low! I heard about one (know, I don't know him) that paid cash for an RS6...

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

Nope.

On a Saxo, you might get a slight change in the throttle response from a jazzy replacement filter for the standard airbox. It still won't actually make your car any noticeably faster.

Personally I wouldn't bother with any sort of induction kit, as many of the Peugeots and Citroens I have worked on actually have some form of cold air induction as standard, usually a dirty big pipe into the air filter housing from somewhere in front of the radiator. I don't have direct experience of a 2001 Saxo VTR though.

In order of cheapness/easyness to do: Fit a tyre/wheel combo which has a smaller overall circumference. Fit a gearbox with lower ratios. Engine swap (wouldn't go there, just buy the VTS like you actually wanted in the first place you cheapskate (c; ). Forced induction.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

He can't be very good at dealing drugs if his weapon of choice is a Saxo. (c;

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

No, an induction kit won't. You'll get a noisy roar, hot air, and probably slower performance. Especially afterbeing sat in traffic where heatsoak will be worst.

The single limiting factor on both the VTR and VTS is the crap stock manifold and exhaust system.

Fitting a decent 4-2-1 manifold and system will release 10-15bhp on both engines. Throw in a live-mapped chip and this will be 5-8hp more with abig boost in the mid-range torque.

Alas none of this is cheap. Around a grand.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

pfft

local dealer up our way has a m3 csl

Reply to
Rob

gallon of petrol

box of matches

and change from a tenner including buying the can :)

Reply to
Rob

Dude, you're not in a position to mock ANYONE's car :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Ours runs a Clio Williams. On his third gearbox apparently.

Reply to
Taz

I havn't even read the rest of the replies here but i'm assuming they will all be pisstakes.

There are only a feew induction kits worth buying and they aren't cheap.

1 - Green enclosed

2 - BMC carbon enclosed

Expect to pay £150-£200 and you will still only see a very small increase in performance (when I had a green enclosed on my sax it saw about 3bhp) (yay!!)

As the other have no doubt told you, on a car like yours, the cone style inductuion kits are a waste of time....they simply make noise.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

My old VTS suprised a lot of people. Very nippy and handle amazingly.

Cams+remap+enclosed induction.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

All VTR and VTS saxos have this, the are set up quite well.

If you have the money then ...

1 - Buy a VTS

2 - Go to the lads at pug-performance and have throttlebodies, cams and a remap. Or a supercharger (rotrex) if you have money coming out of your ears, very fast but break a lot.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

All of the above is sound advice. I couldn't believe the bore of the exhaust system on mine when I took it off, it was tiny.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Arg! I can't believe I posted that aberration! I of course meant "no, I don't know him".

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

No.

The increase will be zero.

But it'll sound nice, and look nice in the engine bay, and won't need replacing every service.

Part-exchange it for a Saxo VTS. It will cost you anywhere from £0 upwards, depending on year/mileage etc.

Reply to
Nom