Scary Experience in an Audi Dealership

Partially because of the speed limit, but also because of the volume of traffic, and mainly because of the design of the roundabouts - such that the driver cannot see beyond around 35 mph speed-distance.

In the circumstances above, yes.

Pretty much.

No, no better. Actually, I forgot to mention the TT's appalling ride.

No, a Ferrari with an empty fuel tank is no quicker than anything else with an empty fuel tank. It is _potentially_ quicker, but being potentially quicker is a lot different to actually being quicker.

Herein is how the TT tends to be bought and used. :(

Reply to
DervMan

A twin-engined car's never gonna make it into production though, is it?

Dunno, the DTM ones seem to do OK.

Maybe they should make a DTM-themed special, complete with insane aerodynamic devices and a (slightly) detuned version of the c.500bhp lump.

Reply to
Jamesy

Is it me or do all mercs - A class and C Class sporting coupe aside obviously - just look so aggressive. Get out of my way or else type aggressive.

-- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

The poster formerly known as John Fitzgerald ( I needed a stage name ).

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

The new 7 is _hideous_ in the metal!

Reply to
Pete

It's not attractive aggresive though.

Then there's the delaers.......gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I quite like the look of the SLs but no, they're not exactly things of beauty.

Oh. ;o)

Reply to
Pete

I don't know much about York's ring road, but if you find yourself at the lights alongside *any* TT, then, if the driver chooses to, you will be behind it before either of you hit the speed limit. A little further on and he'll have been able to accelerate into a gap that you couldn't, or perhaps pull out into a roundabout gap that you daren't. Before you know it you're 4 cars behind it and he makes it through the lights and you don't - that's it, game over, you won't see it again, your Ka lost.

You forget speed of acceleration, as demonstrated above.

LOL!! So all cars must be judged on how they perform on York's outer ring road. Therefore all cars are the same and none are better than any other? Is that what you are saying?

There are more roads than York's outer ring road y'know....

So all cars are just as good as each other when in a traffic jam? Just because they're currently brought down to the same level of speed? I don't think so!!!

The ride is designed as such because it's a sports car, not a small family hatchback. What next? The Elise is poor because your Ka has more extras?!

The Ferrari is still a faster car, regardless of its current ability to prove that fact. True it is potential, but the potential makes it a faster car. It has the potential to go faster than the Fiesta. The TT has the potential to go faster and generally be better than your Ka.

I don't imagine there are many TT owners who look longingly at a Ka - even in a traffic jam. You seem intend in justifying your choice to yourself by trying to judge all cars by the plus points that yours has. Kinda like the guy who pulls up alongside a Ferrari at the petrol station, gets out and says "I bet that costs a lot in petrol", to the driver. You also only present situations where the performance of the cars is capped, to produce similar results. Somehow I can't imagine the Stig getting your Ka around the track faster than any TT.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

OMG, it's philosophising Santa!

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Only 95 shopping days left BTW :-)

Reply to
CW

Oh no it isn't.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I agree, I think it looks brilliant - even though it's not my kind of car.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

Hmm. Only if there are no other cars in front of you at the lights, and the difference in performance between the Ka and the TT (which isn't actually that quick a car, much as the posers would like to think it is) is such that "accelerating into a gap" or "pulling out onto a roundabout" using the performance differential alone is going to be taking risks.

On my bike, which can out-accelerate a Ferrari, I could probably do as you suggest, in my car, which has a 0-60 around the same as that of an MR2, I would not chance it.

Reply to
pete boyall

getting on one of those stupid things is taking a much bigger risk imho

Reply to
Theo

Pussy :)

No more dangerous than crossing a road!

Reply to
Dan405

The majority of York's ring road is single carriageway - and I'm really not interested in traffic light shoot outs (one reason why we run the Ka).

Err, no, not safely and not within the speed limit. Yes; absolutely not.

There are three types of car (in one sense). Underpowered, excessive power, and everything else. When it comes to _safe_ overtaking, "everything else" encompasses the Ka, the 225 TT, pretty much everything I've driven. The

900cc Cinquecento is probably underpowered, the BMW M5 excessive . . . hmm come to think of it, the number of spaces I'd go for in the M5 compared to the Cinquecento can probably be counted on one hand in the last 30 months.

Err, no, for the same reasons above.

No lights.

But that's my point - there is no opportunity to use the acceleration.

In today's traffic, yes, this is exactly the point I'm making.

Oh indeed. But there are, sadly, fewer and fewer great roads.

The TT isn't a sports car. It's a sporty looking car with a bit of poke, a bit of grip, wayward handling with the electronic gizmos turned off, staid handling with them turned off.

Not until both are moving, it isn't, it remains _potentially_ faster.

I disagree. What use it potential if you can never exploit it?

/cough/ Streetka.

And I'm being deliberately argumentative, too, which always helps your case.

Unfortunately, Audi have used a rather confused marketing strategy. Is it a poncy racy-looking Golf? Is it a cut down sports car? It's neither. It's a car conceived to appeal to city types who can buy it with their £25,000 bonus.

The TT doesn't drive like a sports car should. It drives like a sporty little hatchback. It doesn't make the enthusiast tingle, it's too quiet, too subdued, but it has an appalling ride so isn't an especially good motorway cruiser. Until very recently, it's had just four cylinders with a sewing machine hum engine note. As I've said above, you turn off the electronic gizmos and the chassis has no finesse. It's unpredictable, it's nervous. With the electronic gizmos on it's tedious. Lots of grip, no feel. It's . . . dull. Yes, dull. Where's the sparkle? Where's the magic that makes you want to get up at three in the morning on a week day just to take the long drive to the office?

As for the TT's responses, there are significantly cheaper machines that are more responsive to buy, and that don't have this "sports car" label, either.

It's a fine car, I'll give it that, but it feels like it has been castrated. There are far more entertaining sporty cars for the money (and most will give you change enough to buy a new Ka too), which although they may be "inferior," are better drivers' cars.

Examples? The Fiat Coupe, which somehow feels like it's driving 20 mph faster than you really are. The later ones have five cylinders, and great engines they are too. Awful ownership experience (unreliable and lots of niggling problems), but rather more entertaining on the road. New, the 20V turbos were under £23,000.

Honda's S2000 is more entertaining. Awful interior (in my opinion), I'm discounting the styling too, and that donk only has four cylinders, but far more fun.

Various Lotus Elise products, too. The MX-5, too, the original mark one MR2.

All may be inferior cars, all offer greater entertainment.

Reply to
DervMan

This isn't really an argument that works though, what looks great to one person may look hideous to another - for lords sake some people think the Fiat Multipla looks good! Its like saying i prefer redheads to blonds, and you saying no, blonds are more attractive. We could argue which had more powerful engines etc, but looks are subjective to each individual.

Reply to
Dan405

A push bike would be quicker than both, cheaper to run and better for you.

It probably could, there's plenty of places to overtake and it'd go round the roundabouts faster.

For posing outside a wine bar :)

Reply to
James Grabowski

/cough/ Hairdressers called Toby only.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Bigus raved thus:

Peugeot 407 looks nice IMHO.

Abo

Reply to
Abo

Well, no more dangerous than running accross a suitably busy road with your eyes shut, perhaps :-)

Reply to
Andrew Kirby