SD1 steering wheels

Thought someone on here might know this....

I wanna get a smaller steering wheel for the SD1, as not only does the standard one feel to big when driving it also gets in my way when getting in/out of the car. So does anyone know if any other Rover/Austin/Triumph/whatever wheels will fit straight on?

Being a cheap skate I dont fancy paying £160 for a Moto Lita wheel and boss!!

Cheers

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Maybe. Having just looked, they're a slightly more livable £75 for a leather 3 spoke jobbie and boss from Rimmers. But I still dont wanna spend that much if I can getaway with it ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

£45 including postage with a boss to suit on eBay,
Homer

Yeah I've been looking on there as thats where I got a Mountney wheel from for my Volvo - the 4 spoke one which I really like. However their wheel/boss packages only have 13" wheels which is a little too small for my liking. Sent them a message earlier on though to see if they would just sell me the boss. A cheap wheel should then be easy to pick up.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

There might be - but then they're unlikely to be smaller. The idea of the flat bottom is to increase leg room for getting in and out - if you remember to leave the wheels straight. I got a 13" one off Ebay - secondhand. Mainly to weight up the steering. But with it in a comfortable driving position it's still close to the legs. A smaller wheel will make reading the speedo even more difficult. If it works, of course. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would like a 14" wheel I think. Not sure what the standard one is, but it seems much bigger than that. I guess I should measure it really!

Speedo still doesnt work properly anyway. It's more of an approximation :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Remove olde wheel and get some mole grips. Works fine. Been there. Was sat on a bucket too but it colapsed at the traffic lights and I roled into the back. It all started when we came back from the pub and needed a chinese as you do. My younger brother was in bed asleep so we thought it would be fun to take his car since mine had no engine. MK2 Escort black respray (came out brown in the lights) He was in the middle of fitting a new carpet and steering wheel and clocks etc after a respray. It needed a seat. I found a black plastic bucket. (Matched the car!) It needed a steering wheel. I found mole grips on the garage floor! Wow it was meant to happen. Sat on bucket and started car. Pulled out on to road fighting the mole grip steering wheel. Lights were red so slowing down. They went green. I floored it (all 1.3L) and the bucket colapsed. I fell backwards unable to see anything or steer. So scrambled forwards and braked with my hand. We landed on the pavement stopped and stalled about 100 yds from my house. We then pushed it back and decided a few more cans were more important than a chinese anyway. Nowadays we would have been hung drawn and quartered but things were simpler and more fun in the 70s... (80s?) I dunno...

Reply to
Burgerman