Second car

Hi,

I currently have an '03 Clio which I use a fair amount, but with a recent spate of break-in's at my Uni, I am a bit wary about using the car to drive there.

I am insured third-party on any non-commercial vehicle, and would like to spend a few hundred (no more than £1k) on a car that I can just use to drive to Uni without worrying about having it broken into. Obviously it'll need twelve months tax & MOT, but I was thinking of getting something more "fun", so that I can have a bit of a play in at weekends. I'm not worried about fuel consumption at all, it needs to be reasonably reliable and of course under a grand. If it looks nice or goes well - bonus!

So.. suggestions please ladies and gentlemen? What would you buy for under a grand (less if possible) if you didn't have to worry about insurance?

The Clio is my first car, and has only 98bhp; but I have some (rather limited!!) experience of my parents 850 T5, so I wouldn't mind some power...

Cheers,

Grant Williams.

Reply to
Grant Williams

Look at the cars that are being broken into, and I bet they're mostly the banger end of the spectrum. Stealing new cars is much more difficult for the average boy racer, and if the Clio's got a built in / custom fit stereo, they're not too likely to nick that.

Reply to
Doki

For fun: Pug 205GTi or MkII Golf GTi.

Big, fast and comfortable: Alfa 164 V6, Ford Granada Scorpio V6, Vauxhall Carlton GSi.

Reply to
SteveH

Saab 900 T16 (practical, fast, and easy to tune for pennies), Ford Capri 2.8i, hilarious fun. Don't get a rotten one though. Pug 205GTi 1.9 Quick, cheap and good fun. Golf GTi MK II BX 16V if you can find a good one Sierra 2.8 4x4 Alfa 164 3.0 V6 Carlton 3000 GSi.

Mike

Reply to
Mike P in Brazil

Hi,

Think you might want to check on this before you do it. Your policy may differ from mine though. I thought this bit of the insurance was if a) you don't own the vehicle. b) It is insured by the owner normaly.

For example, if you parked it on a hill and the handbrake gave up the ghost. When the car rolls down the hill side swiping 3/4 cars on the way to the bottom, who would they all claim off? You were not driving it so it wouldn't be covered by your policy.

My policy allows me to drive any other car fully comp (and anybody on my car) BUT it has to meet the two above conditions. That is why I have two insurance policies. Luckily it cost me vitrually nothing for the policies, 24 year old male in central manchester but a special deal through work. If your way worked, people would each have a Fiat Panda 750cc on there driveway (rotting away) and any one of the ultra quick motors.

Hope this helps

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

The vehicle doesn't have to be insured by anyone, although it cannot be owned by you (or usually by the policy holder if this is someone else, mum for example), and it is only insured whilst you are using it. If it is not insured by someone else, then you cannot leave it parked on the road, or in any public area, cos obviously its uninsured and uninsured vehicles are not allowed on the road. So whilst it may be legal for you to drive it (although i wouldn't want to have to try and claim this way...) its not legal for you to leave it parked anywhere thats not private land which is not open for public access (so you can't leave it in a supermarket carpark or anything).

Reply to
Dan405

Ahhh, yes, I missed this in the original post.

Although your theory seems to be correct, it's actually not possible to do this on a long term basis as you wouldn't be able to buy your tax.

Reply to
SteveH

There is also that :)

Reply to
Dan405

I'm not 100% convinced you *don't* have to worry about insurance, but anyway.

Have a look at the Scorpio prices. Heavy on fuel, no second hand value to speak of, but a luxury car with pretty good performance and serious toys. They're generally fairly reliable and can be had for your grand in high mileage examples. The one to go for is the Cosworth 24v V6.

Genuine pose value when giving people a lift, but the outside does look like someone stuck a catalytic converter up a frog rather than a car. Mind you, that's the main reason it is cheap.

You'll find the BMW - Rolls Royce will go the same way. It may be a good car inherently, but the looks will ensure that nobody will pay what it is worth, on the basis of there not being enough paper bags in the average branch of MacDonalds. Probably won't end up as quite such a bargain, even so, because we'll all know it's basically a good barge under the skin. Car, I mean, not barge.

Reply to
antispam

A relative used to claim they were insured fully comp on their parent's car and drove their own (high powered) cars on the 3rd party aspect. I queried him several times about the specifics but got fairly wooly responses. I recently found he now had his own policy but was a little cagey about why - I suspect he found he had been driving uninsured for a long time!

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

Arround the grand mark? Mk2 Escort, Chevette, Capri MK2/3, Manta B 1.9

That will give you engine choices from 1.3 upto just shy of 2 litres (or bigger if you go the Capri route) and loverly RWD arse out action.

Alternatively, you could consider a Saphire 4x4 but not sure what the prices are like for the Non-V6 (if there was one) or Scorpio 2 litres (but performance will suffer if you don't want the 6 option).

Then what people have said about the 205 GTi, and also a 106.

Think about silly cars like 2CVs where you keep your foot nailed at all times and take corners flat out.

If you don't mind tinkering and spending tie hunting down bits for going faster consider a Skoda Favorit (early on carbs, late on SPi) or a Felicia (early SPi, later MPi). Both are a bit flat and wobbly as standard, but carb manifolds are available for a pair of twin 40's. Shocks are available from either AVO, Spax, or HP-Sporting(from CZ, Butts of Bawtry can supply). Felicias use VW stud pattern so wheels in a Polo fitment will go on. The Favorit (Fiat lancia stud pattern on earlies, VW stud pattern on laters) is more in your price range, and a lot more basic and plastic unless you can find a Blackline/Silveline LTD edition model, but you can bolt late Favorit/Felicia hubs, and better brakes onto Favorit from a Felicia, along with a lot more of the mechanical stuff.

Mountney and S-Racing make wheel hubs to Fit the Fav. Demon Tweeks still stock some Fav/Felicia Rallying/Motorsport parts.

It's only a 1.3, but with some machine shop work from the right place, can still be reliable and make 135BHP.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com raved thus:

:: Genuine pose value when giving people a lift, but the outside does :: look like someone stuck a catalytic converter up a frog rather than :: a car

LMAO!!!

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

MeatballTurbo raved thus:

:: Mk2 Escort, Chevette, Capri MK2/3, Manta B 1.9

:: That will give you engine choices from 1.3 upto just shy of 2 litres :: (or bigger if you go the Capri route) and loverly RWD arse out :: action.

XR4i? I was thinking about getting one of these or an XR4x4 as a cheap trackdays car, because you can pick them up for virtually nothing.

:: Alternatively, you could consider a Saphire 4x4 but not sure what the :: prices are like for the Non-V6 (if there was one) or Scorpio 2 litres :: (but performance will suffer if you don't want the 6 option).

They did a 2.0 XR4x4 apparently.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

I won't - It'll be registered to someone else...

It'll be a 12 month thing, not intending to keep the car. Buy it for a few hundred, thrash it for 12 months... flog it if I can or scrap it

Grant Williams.

Reply to
Grant Williams

Hey, Student Grant.

If you drive a car legally owned (even if it's not registered to you, which is in itself illegal) on third-party extension cover, you're not insured. Six points, fine, if you get caught. If you get in an accident, don't even try to imagine the mess you'll be in.

If you're over 21 or 25, look into buying a cheap car over 10 years old and getting classic cover on it - I do this, I've covered everything from a Rover 3500S to a 1992 Ford Scorpio with no problems and always £200 maximum for me. A mini was £98. Doesn't use any NCB, doesn't give any NCB, and usually limited mileage.

If you are seriously considering buying a taxed car, not registering it in your name, then using it without insurance (I don't care what you /think/ your policy says, if you have real cover then that's another matter), then hope to god you don't buy the car from me or run into me, because I'd be inclined to pursue you for everything I could.

This isn't a random unpleasant post. If you can afford an '03 Clio, you can afford to run a car legally, and it sounds very much like you are't planning to do so, either through ignorance or using the pretence thereof.

As for the £1,000 banger, if you want something reliable, get a Mk II VW Golf GTi. If you're /really/ covered on insurance, that is. 45mpg average, tough as old boots, and if you debadge it and get 'Driver' logos instead, no-one will bother it.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

I get the impression that it would be registered as being in the name of a family member, and would be legally owned by that person, even if it had been paid for by the OP. The thing is that, in every policy I've seen, there is the requirement that the car be insured, i.e. by the legal owner, and that you have the express permission of the owner. Most also seem to limit the useage to 'medical or motoring emergencies', when you look at the small print.

Not a bad plan. Some very cheap cover to be had that way.

Yup. I'd strongly recommend the OP look very closely at the smallprint of his insurance, and make sure of the requirements re. ownership, insurance and useage. Ignorance of illegality is not a defence.

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

He probly would be able to drive it legally, although a lot of companies insist on you being over 25 (mine doesn't which is nice, and i can drive other cars legally, but then as i said before, i can't leave them anywhere, and i work there so i have checked this).

Reply to
Dan405

Hi Richard,

The bottom of my insurance certificate states

Driving Other Vehicles: Under the terms of this policy the policyholder may drive any Motor Car (or Motor Cycle) not belonging to him or her, where there is no hire or lease agreement involved.

Having telephoned the insurer (Norwich Union), they told me that there does not need to be any other form of insurance for the car under anyone elses name as their extended cover meets the minimum insurance for Europe.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Grant Williams.

Reply to
Grant Williams

Yes,

What happens when you are not in it? What happens if on a hot sunny day in a busy carpark something catches fire in it and burns the surrounding cars.

Do you really think people would go out of pocket? They would if your car had no insurance.

Try it and see.

Reply to
Tim Anderson

In article , t-dot- snipped-for-privacy@zen.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Very true. Minimum cover normally only covers the vehicle on the road/public place, while the insured driver is actually in the vehicle. At all other times, on the road, it is uninsured, and would need to be parked off the road. Not sure how this would work for taxing, as you don't have a piece of paper to show the post office/DVLA local office to prove insurance for that specific vehicle.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo