Second hand hatches

I like the way they look. They just need RWD and turbo.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston
[snip useful information]

Yup...

Correct!

Reply to
DervMan

Yes, you could do that, but this is a modifications' group! :)

Reply to
DervMan

Based upon it yeah, the volvo uses the ooollldd 1.7 version

Oh yes, the golf is a better car. Compared to a fester the clio wins hands down tho!

Reply to
Chet

Yes, but if those prices are anything like accurate, which I doubt, the Fiesta is 1/2 the cost of the Clio; it most certainly isn't 1/2 as much fun.

The Clio is good Mk II Digifant territory. Hell, it's probably Mk III territory now, but I'd rather have a Mk II than any Mk III short of a VR6 Vento.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

and I thought this thread was about vertically opening doors :)

Reply to
Theo

Some those prices seem a bit silly low Take the Saab convertibel turbo J reg. New £27995

100k miles £4075 120K miles £3425 140k miles £2875 212k miles £435

Is he really saying that while for 40k miles the car will drop by half, after another 60k, it is worth 10% of what it was. It is a still a 15 year old car, whether it has been garaged or played starship for it's whole life.

The price drop was similar for the Celica. Seems to be "worth" about 33-50% of what they fetch.

G40s are fetching 4 times or so what that site says they are worth.

Reply to
Depresion

I know this is the mods group, but the responses in this thread has all been very interesting and informative, so thank you all. I'm seeing a couple of cars tomorrow.

  1. Golf GTi, mk2, black. Cambelt done 15K ago. No mods. Not mint, but not tatty. Corrosion around rear wiper, he said not serious. Would like to sell quickly as has two cars at the moment and is still paying for insurance. At £795 on AT but I have already told him that I wouldn't go above £500 for a minter, and he still seems eager.

  1. 206 GTi 1.6. J reg, metallic grey, MOT till April, no tax, cambelt unknown, body and interior solid. Tyres and brakes good. Up at £595, but he needs to sell quickly (and told me so!). Only mods are air filter and sports exhaust.

I have spotted another option which could be interesting.

Golf GTi cabrio, black. New tyres, brakes, cambelt. Plastic wheel arches with a "little" corrosion. Drivers seat is tatty enough to need a cover but I reckon I can get one from a breakers. Main concern is that it is a 1984 A reg. I heard that GTi cabrios only arrived in 1985. True? Asking £750.

Reply to
antgel

Back doors do rust. Big or slim bumpers? £500 for a mint Big Bumper model would be very optimistic, unless prices have fallen again (in which case, I'll take one as a p/x for one of my cars!). Black is a good colour. Check the seat, make sure the gearbox behaves well.

Don't know about the age but I'm sure I've seen GTi Cabrios on an A before - I thought it was '83, before that we had the GLi (which to be honest is just as nice). Good cars, very enjoyable and practical - fold the rear seats and remove the parcelshelf, and they have quite a lot of space.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

In order to modify a car you need to understand a great deal more than how to service it, you should remember that because a few of these guys have an encyclopdiatic knowlage in their chosen feilds of automotive interest.

You will *not* get a mint mk2 GTi for £500... more like £1.5-2k, unless you are *very* lucky.

Sounds good, the 1.6 is supposed to be the fun option due to its revvy nature.

Be prepared to spend money on it, I've noticed that mk2s seem to corrode more on their rear end so check under the carpet at the back and around the base of the rear archs. The mk2 was released in 1983 (1985 in N.America) so although I cannot find an official date, I would assume the cabs were released around 1984 or early 1985.

Reply to
REMUS

I ment "encyclopaedic"!

Reply to
REMUS

I know, that's just what I told him. :)

I've been there before. I run a business now and don't have much time to tinker, so I think I'd better make myself ditch this one. Now. Maybe. Tell you what, let's see what I think of this car tonight. :)

Reply to
antgel

The mk2 was officially released in 1984 but they were available in feb 83 from what I have read.

Reply to
REMUS

Some MkIIs corrode, but one that's been looked after won't have done. In fact, of the MkIIs left out there, you'd have to do a spectacularly bad job of buying one to buy one that's rusty.

There was no MkII cabrio, the MkI shape continued until the MkIII Cabrio was launched. They've been around since the late 70s.

Couldn't confirm that it should be a GTI on an A-plate, but, as has been said elsewhere, the GLi was just as good. I would, however, be concerned about corrosion, as once it takes hold of a MkI (especially a cabrio) then it could be scrapped at the next MOT. There's some parts of the MkI floor pan (ISTR, above the rear axle beam) that are almost impossible to repair without spending hundreds doing it, meaning that there's a lot of MkIs being scrapped these days.

Reply to
SteveH

Remus, they didn't make a Mk. II Cabriolet. They went from Mk. I to Mk. III.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I must have just seen custom conversions then, my bad *slaps hand*

Reply to
REMUS

Hardly a 'facelift'. They just tacked on a MkII-a-like grille.

Reply to
SteveH

Indeed, though they did facelift the Mk1 Cabrio with the Mk2 front end.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No they didn't.

They added a grille with less slats and a smoother bumper bodykit.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Oh.