Selling a car Online

Say i were advertising a car on ebay, would it be a good idea to accept Cash on delivery? The user would bin and win the item, give them a few days(how many?) to gather the money from the bank in cash, meet up and give them the car,log book etc etc?

Im thinking of this because if i were to hand over the car, and the cheque were to bounce id be in the dog house. Do you think this would be a good way to go about selling a car?

Cheers

Reply to
={ Advocated }=

Cash could be dodgy, i'd take a cheque, then let them take the car when the cheque had cleared.

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Either that or use a banker's draft. Costs the buyer about ten quid, and it saves a hell of a lot of hassle as it is as good as cash.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

how could the cash be dodgy though? main reason i was thinking, is for a quick transaction but i suppose both methods are quick.. I suppose the cash could be fake, but i have ways to test it etc

Reply to
={ Advocated }=

what I am about to tell you is top secret

a good few years ago, I went to buy a car with someone who may or may not been well known in the local criminal fraternity unbeknown to me at the time, my associate had just received a batch of "funny money" when the sale was made and he handed over a large amount of cashola, the person who took the money decided they would be very careful and run every note under the light to make sure none of it was fake out of a VERY large sum of money, (multiples of 5 figures) only one came out as fake "not a problem, I have several more" and he proceeded to hand over another £20 note this passed the test and away we drove the car was subsequently passed on at a loss but seeing as the person who went to buy it put the other persons name onit in the first place..........you see what i'm getting at? and the only person who got screwed was the trader who was pretending to be a private seller as for the £20? we used it at the petrol station :)

so, going around flashing large wads of cash in people faces makes them less likely to think about if it's fake or not as they see money in the bank and no tax to pay on it etc

get a cheque wait for it to clear sell the car to the person who writes you the cheque in the log book that way you know that the dvla will be on the lookout and it's all above board and if it bounces you still have a car and it doesn't raise suspicion when you go to sell the car to the guy at his house

this message will self destruct in 7 seconds

Reply to
dojj

Well it's not any more :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

i sold my cav on ebay and accepted cash from some big black guy from birmigham :) and it checked out all ok

doesn't matter anyway as i brought my MR2 with the same cash so if it was dodgy lol whooops

Reply to
Vamp

Reply to
dojj