Short insurance

I might drag the Jag out of retirement for a short (1-2 day) European trip. Anyone know of an insurance company who will do a short-term insurance policy? Will I be able to tax the thing?

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

As long as you've valid insurance on the day you apply for the tax disc, if backdating to the beginning of the month, or the beginning of the next month if forward dating it, yes.

Reply to
Conor

There is a company that does short insurance (upto 30 days) at about=20 =A310-15 a day. but you can't tax the vehicle according to their website. Can't find their site now.

Norwich union also do it.

Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.
Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

When I got my insurance (Admiral), they said there was a full 30 day money back guarantee....

Reply to
Tom Robinson

i'm with admiral, but a few years back when i was with them and selling my cavalier for the better MK1 MR2 they let me insure the cav for 30 days, might be worth a try? call you're insurance company and see if they can cover it for a day or 2 maybe?

Reply to
Vamp

That'll be

and their rates are not only quite reasonable, but very transparent in terms of who qualifies, and exactly what it covers.

Looks virtually identical in pricing structure to dayinsure, and just like with them, you can't use it to tax a vehicle.

But.....why not use your "cooling off period" rights to set up one insurance policy, pay in full on credit card, and cancel it within 14 days for a full refund, in which time you'll tax the car. Worst case is that it'll cost you the cost of a stamp to send the old certificate back. Then use a short-term policy as and when you need it, and as long as it's kept off the road when you're not using it, and you're happy for it to be not insured for theft (not a major thing if it's only a few hundred quid worth of car and kept in a garage), then happy occasional motoring! Illegal advice bit: if you can get away with it, hang on to the insurance certificate for the annual policy that you've cancelled, and that way you can get a tax refund, and hold onto it to re-tax it as and when you need if, if it's not too much hassle.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

When I got my new tax disc it was done over the internet and they must have had the MoT and inurance information on a central database. I don't know if the post office are technologicaly up-to-date but it might be that soon you can't do that.

Reply to
adder1969