Sideways

Every time I feel the back end on the 200sx start to twitch I instinctively lift off the accelerator, but I have since read that giving it 10-15% more throttle would actually work better! Bearing in mind that this is the first RWD car I've driven since passing my test in a MK2 Escort, 20 years ago, where can I go and what can I do to learn to stick the back end out in a controlled manner? I don't particularly want to be drifting sideways around roundabouts but when the back end slides out I'd like to feel that I am controlling the car and not the other way around.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

That's the quickest engine rebuilt I've ever seen posted on here!

Reply to
SteveH

Didn't bother with a rebuild. I sourced a recon block on Monday, arranged to have it delivered to the garage on Wednesday and picked the car up on Thursday after work. Runs like a dream now.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

Good work.

I *should* be getting the 75 back on Monday - complete with welded up front floorpans, new rear springs and shocks and new front shocks.

Then all I have to do is to find the cash for the trackday in September.

Reply to
SteveH

Rockingham Motor Speedway do skid courses.

¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

don't lift off just keep the pedal where it is and learn to control the slide lifting off sometimes causes instability of both ends and can lead to lift off oversteer or understeer

Reply to
dojj

Where is the trackday taking place, I wouldn't mind having a go?

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

Thanks.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

My brain acts before I can do anything and lifts my foot off though. I'd like to train myself to control the slide, but somewhere where I'm not likely to stuff the car into something hard and immovable. :-)

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

Llandow, near Cardiff.

Saturday 3rd September. Cost £119 incl. instruction.

Reply to
SteveH

if you have the back end step out and then turn the wheel to counter it, when you suddenly lift off the back end is going to grip and the front end is going to go in the direction you are pointing it, normally into a wall or some roadside stationary that's why you don't lift off straight away but make sure the steering wheel and direction of travel are instantly controllable when you do "GENTLY" remove your toe from the pedal to ensure you don't stuff the car :) learn to drift on a wet surface, all it will cost you are a set of tyres :)

Reply to
dojj

Thanks.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

Thanks I'll give it a try the next time the rear gets out of line. If you don't hear back then I failed. ;-)

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

Roundabouts, best when slightly damp, avoid ones with the "extra grippy safety stuff" type tarmac.

Good luck :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Thanks.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

*cough*

:)

Reply to
DervMan

Get yourself down to a trackday, preferably organised at an airfield because they're cheaper. :) Go along as a novice, get some tutoring and budget for replacement brakes and tyres.

You can turn up in just about _anything_ roadworthy.

:)

Reply to
DervMan

Instead of backing off the throttle, back off the steering lock to prevent oversteer, feed in more throttle if you need to retighten the line...

...it's easier said than done and probably best first tried away from the public highway. :)

If you have access to a low grip RWDer practice with that.

Alistair J Murray

So do you have to bring an MOT with your drivers licence?

Reply to
REMUS

You need to go and do some trackdays. You'll learn more in a day on the track than you would in 5 years on the road.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston