Sierra Injection Cyl Heads...

Got myself a 1.6 Capri Laser as the 22MPG on the 2,8i is starting to get a bit silly now.

Planning on rebuilding a 2L Pinto and dropping it in. I'd like to use a

2L Sierra Injection lump as not only is it already unleaded but the ports are shaped alot better and give a better flow than boggo heads which will work well with the cam and carb I plan to use.

Anyone know if there's anything to watch out for such as water gallieries on the inlet manifold flange etc to watch out for when using the standard Ford carb inlet manifold?

Reply to
Conor

I'd be very surprised if a 2 litre carb was anymore economical than a 2.8 injection - assuming you limit the performance of the 2.8 to the same as the 2 litre.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pah - wimp! How many miles are you doing, per year, in it?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It is. I used to get around 32-33MPG out of the last 2L I had.

22MPG was on a run without caning it.
Reply to
Conor

Basically, I'm getting a 50% increase in economy and a 33% saving in fuel bills by going to 2L and only losing around 2 seconds at the worst on the 0-60 thanks to having the 1.6 gear ratios with a 2L lump.

It is my daily runner so sometimes 300 miles per week. £54 a week in tit or £36 a week in tit for the same mileage at the same speed, which would you rather have?

Not only that but the opportunity to use the 2.8 to any potential is getting less and less by the number of cars you come across pottering about at mid 40's - 50MPH.

Reply to
Conor

"in tit" ? Is that some strange northern expression? (-c:

True. It seems the 2.8 injections are significantly less economical than the older (presumably less emissions restricted) ones - I've owned/driven neither, mind, but judging from your experience and others' of the older 2.8 carb engines, that would appear to be the case.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I'd say it needs sorting. My SD1 EFI auto does much better than that - over 30 at legal speeds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For the sake of 18 quid a week, the 2.8. My change of car saves me about

50-100 a week.

Overtake them....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Its on an autobox. The last 2.8i manual I had returned around 25. When I say "on a run" I mean around 60 on empty A roads but the A roads I used it on have alot of hills.

Reply to
Conor

Still sounds poor for an EFI engine in a light car.

I had a 2 litre Capri auto and that was heavy on fuel. Went ok, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a Ford. Last thing they're any good at is fuel economy. Usually every other manufacturer has an equivalent capacity engine putting out more power with better economy.

Reply to
Conor

It's not modified it in any way? Rising rate fuel pressure regulator? 'Special' air filter etc? From what I remember the 2.8 was quite a decent engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So does that mean you'll be selling a 2.8i Capri? If so, is it a 2.8i Special, or has it got the super-lively rear axle?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

My XR4i does 30mpg. Same lump. I'd be surprised if the Capri weighed that much more, or had aerodynamics that were that much worse at sub-70mph speeds.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I got 33 from my 2.9 Granada Automatic. I expect the Capri box is cruder though.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

2.8i Special with the LSD. It's up on Ebay at the moment - you'll work out which it is.

Got myself a very tidy Laser to play with now.

Reply to
Conor

Honestly I couldn't say although it is a paper filter. I have managed to average 25MPG over a tank full once just about. I suspect that subconciously, I'm driving her as she's supposed to be driven. They tend to do that to you.

Took her out for a spin last night - well, more like 3am - which was a big mistake. Going to miss that whole pinned to the back of the seat thing whilst being serenaded by the roar of those pipes. Starts off as a mild rumble then she really sings once she hits around 3500RPM. She just gets up to speed so quickly and pulls all the way whereas in the 1.6 shitbox I have to look at the speedo to see if it's accelerating. Powerslid her round a couple of roundabouts on the bypass. And to top it all, looks like the quick flush of the rad sorted out the issue it had.

Was up until 6 this morning. Couldn't sleep. Should I just pull it off Ebay and get it resprayed? Should I reshell it into the 1.6? Should I sell it? Should I keep it? AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH. I'm having a very hard time stopping myself pulling it off Ebay.

And then today my eldest son washed it for me. BASTARD. At least whilst it had a covering of road muck on it I could convince myself it wasn't worth it.

Someone e-mailed me today wanting to take a look next week. It's got

1/3 tank of petrol in. Can go for a good run out on 1/3 tank. He'll be wondering whether the test drive is a kidnapping....Wonder if I can talk him into buying a 1.6 laser.

If only it was any other model...

Reply to
Conor

Never really measured my 2.8 iXR4x4 properly (tank was too big to fill up all at once :)), but it was around 20-25mpg most of the time. Hit about

30mpg on a run.
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

My blue one didn't last long enough to work it out, but the grey 2.9 was about 23mpg. It was not particularly impressive, really.

Sounded great, though :)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Yeah, sounds about right.

I was very proud yesterday - filled up my Swift and worked out that it had done 45mpg. I've never had such a figure from a petrol car, and even the

205TD only recorded about that most of the time. Well chuffed!

Hell yeah!! And the exhaust note drowned out the tappety tappets which was useful :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs