Silly cars

OK, i've been bored today and scrapheap challenge got me thinking. I'm a fairly good DIY mechanic, and i'm quite willing to give anything a go. I've got a couple of mates who are roughly at the same level (all part of a motor club and used to bodging cars back together after breaking them), so i was thinking that we should put our heads together and create something. After making the suggestion, at least 2 others are interested, so we want to try and come up with some ideas. Noting wild to start off with, just something we can use as a platform and gradually work on. We have a Capri V6 that could be a starting point, but needs work. Another option would be the SD1, in a Jeremy Clarkson fashion (if you've seen that vid). I was also thinking a Pug 505 Mi16 or doing up an old V6 if we could find one. Maybe an old V6 Granada (the 80s one), coz i think they're cool. Possibly do something silly to my Volvo when i get rid of it in the new year (R5 GTT lump?)

Any other ideas would be considered. BAsically cheap is the name of the game, and ideally RWD. We'll all put a bit of cash in, and hopefully do something over the spring/summer - so plenty of time to plan. I know i send these sort of posts out every now-and-again when i'm bored, but looks like it might really happen this time!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

What do you want it for? Road car, rally, drag, hillclimb, etc?

Reply to
Homer

How about an old BMW? Just got the E21 back from having some paint done, front engined rear wheel drive big engine bay for a nice V8 transplant. (No I'm not trying to sell it)

Reply to
Depresion

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Hmm, the R5GTT might be fairly easy of you can get round the swap from FWD to RWD when you transplant into the ovloV, because ovloV did use renault engines in a lot of their 1.4 and 1.7 engined cars.

But, how about shoving a rover V8 into that engine bay. It will be crap round corners (isn't it already). But should huff big time in a straight line. Always supercharge it later if you find extra money.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I reckon the best bet would be to shove one of the 2.3 Turbo's in one from of the big old RWD volly tanks, like the 740 or whatever. The outputs not that impressive for a 2.3T (160-170bhp?) but they're pretty tunable, and do you actually want anymore than that in 340?

Reply to
Dan405

Actually this is pretty easy- if you had started off with a 360(!) Bell housings are different between the Renault and Volvo engines (340 / 360)

The only slight problem is routing the turbo exhaust / manifold around the steering rack / column shaft- but the rest is easy- hell there are even pre-punched holes in the radiator panel for the intercooler hoses!

A B230ET (2.3 turbo) in standard form is good for 182bhp, imagine the tailslides with that heheheh

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Great plan, but pick a decent car - not some chatty old-fashioned thing !

How about a 205 MI16 ? Or even a 309 MI16 ?

Reply to
Nom

So there's a very easy 200bhp to be had - and probably more.

That's sounding like an excellent plan to me - you can pick up a 360 for peanuts. As Tim says, the only real cost will be to have someone make you up a manifold - but if you all contribute, then it shouldn't be much to bear.

Reply to
Nom

Thinking more about weight/balance of the car. Rover V8, nice and light and tunable later, and torquey now.

Might even weigh less than a 2.3 Volvo T

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Maybe does, but i should imagine the difference will be minimal, and the volvo lump will be easier to source and far easier to fit i should imagine, also, its cheaper to tune, just whap the boost up ;)

Reply to
Dan405

And actually, lets be honest, the handling isn't exactly going to get any worse is it :) Chop a few coils out of the standard springs, Burgerman Sierra style, maybe add some slightly wider rear tyres than the standard volly ones tho.....

Reply to
Dan405

The handling has surprised me. In the wet its just metnal and all over the place and the slightest little hint of power. In the dry it grips pretty well - i'm taking roundabouts at the same speed i used to in the 205 - not quite as stable, but it'll go round with a bit of persuasion! Although the more powerful versions probably get a bit more interesting(!) I agree that the 155 tyres may need to be uprated :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I shouldnt think it would be easier to fit, since its a renault engine at the mo so everything is probably different. And theres no way a 2.3 Volvo lump is gonna be easier to find that a Rover V8! Think of the number of cars the V8 (in its various forms) as been put into!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Just a road car that we can all have a laugh in. Maybe the odd road rally (but thats not important)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The Rover V8 was suggested in my car, so that was already on the list :) I have the 1.4 Renault engine in there now, so thats why i was thinking of the GTT lump.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

We'll look for a solid car and go from there. Theres nothing wrong with old-fashioned things. remember we're going for something thats grin inducing, not super-duper quick!

Boring! How many times has that been done! I was actually thinking of a

2.1TD in a 309, but i think that may be too boring. Mybe a RWD 405 Mi16 if we could get hold of a 4x4 shell
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Dan405 made the world a better place for us by saying..

Hmm, but that's a mere piddling single Turbo...

Whereas, sitting in my garage, doing f*ck all apart from waiting to be bought, is a Twin Turbo conversion for a carb rover V8...

Reply to
Pete M

Carl Gibbs raved thus:

:: I shouldnt think it would be easier to fit, since its a renault :: engine at the mo so everything is probably different. And theres no :: way a 2.3 Volvo lump is gonna be easier to find that a Rover V8! :: Think of the number of cars the V8 (in its various forms) as been :: put into!

Yeah, but everyone wants them for their Cobra kit cars, so they'll probably be fewer around and more expensive than the Volvo 2.3T.

Abo

Reply to
Abo

There is everything wrong with them :)

But it's plenty easy. You'll struggle to do anything more "indepth" without proper equipment. Unless it's a straight swap (like the above) you're gonna have to get all sorts of parts fabbed and stuff.

Reply to
Nom

The GTT lump is a heap of crap though. It's only got something like 120bhp as standard, and it's got some insanely stupid carb setup (yes, on a Turbo !) and it eats head gaskets and it overheats. It'll piss you off plenty :)

Reply to
Nom