Sleeper

I found a red VW Beetle abandoned in a car park. It was about to be taken away by a recovery firm (and still is, I expect, but they'll find it isn't there).

I haven't freed it yet, but once I have a 27mm or whatever the stupidly huge nut is on the steering wheel socket, I shall rescue it.

The owner is on holiday, and probably didn't know it was going to be removed. Perhaps I shall acquire a Beetle, and perhaps I'm doing someone a huge favour.

Either way: Reckon it'll start when I connect a battery?

It's a 1973/4 (L) 1300, I think (the badge is missing and I'm a bit rusty on my aircooled VWs).

In other news, I was actually looking at a TransAm, 5.0 High Output,

5-speed manual, Rochester 4 barrel... £1,500 maybe, £2K for sure. Shame it's white.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

If it's been stood for any time you may need a new fuel pump as the diaphragms tend to go, they aren't expensive but you need to pop the old one off and measure the push rod as there are 2 types IIRC 100mm or 110mm. In theory the 110 should be on cars with dynamos but a lot have been retrofitted with alternators over the years. If you don't already know the battery should be under the rear seat (I think they are 063 type).

Reply to
Depresion

Know about the battery and the fuel pump, forget if it had a dynamo - I think it had an alternator, but there was a control box under the rear seat which I can't remember if my '78 had.

I'll find out more tomorrow, once I've got a sodding massive socket and got the wheel off.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

that's theft isn't it?

Reply to
dojj

Theft is to permanently deprive, so it could be. Depends if the original owner wants it back. :)

Still, rather you than I.

Reply to
DervMan

thats coercment, tell me to steal it rather than you stealing it :)

Reply to
dojj

ROFL! Shall we discuss this tomorrow? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Technically, yes, but I've spoken to a few mates of the owner now, he's on holiday, and my intention is not to permanently deprive the owner of the car. If they intended to abandon it, and I get to keep it, great, but if they wanted to restore it and were about to lose it because they'd left it somewhere stupid, then I've saved their car.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

yes, lets, but only hypotheticaly, otherwise they may suspect a conspiracy :)

Reply to
dojj

The conversation will never take place.

Anyway if the rumours are true you'd better talk to me first thing, apparently it's hard to have a conversation with a broken nose, arm and two legs. :-/

Reply to
DervMan

i was never there, i have wtnesses and video footage of me not being there either it'll never stand up in court

mind you, with 2 broken leg,s you may not do either :) but it wasn't me, or my fault

Reply to
dojj

Heh.

Reply to