Smell in Aircon

With the warm weather over the weekend I put the old climate on in the car, and now I have got this smell that can only be discribed as piss.

Its coming through the vents and its not your normal musty smell you get but a real strong pungent smell, any ideas?

I have removed the pollen filter and sprayed loads of disinfectent in with the air recyc off, and I also ran a Comma Air con cleaner last november, but have never smelt nothing like this.

Reply to
Ronny

MrJolly

my air con is a bit smelly, i blame 6 weeks on a boat or a smelly jap bastard for that though, i think it can get fungus or something in the system. been told toyota make a cleaner you can spray into the system so how which is meant to be really good. haven't bothered asking toyota yet about it though.

Reply to
Vamp

Don't suppose you have an Audi A4 do you?

Reply to
[-=Dan=-]

You didnt buy my old A4 did you? that used to do that lol

Reply to
Ronny

How did you know?

Reply to
Ronny

Did you not get the Air-conditioning-related product recall bulletin?

Reply to
[-=Dan=-]

do you have a link ???

Reply to
Ronny

Sorry mate, I'm winding you up...couldn't resist, and now I feel really bad!

Though, my Vectra used to have the same problem when you turned it off. It runked terribly.

My Accord doesn't have the problem, but then I think it's always on with the digital climate control...

I think it is fungal-related, and you should be able to get a cleaner from somewhere...

looks like the kinda thing...

Reply to
[-=Dan=-]

lol ta :)

Reply to
Ronny

Rather than buying hideously expensive aircon cleaner, buy a can of Dettol spray disinfectant. There are two different pongs, green and blue, I prefer blue.

Set the aircon to use external air (i.e. turn of recirculation) and spray the disinfectant into the air intake (in most cars this is at the base of the windscreen).

Don't get in the car until the disinfectant has dispersed.

It works well, the Ford's aircon started to honk after doing some serious driving on white roads. The soil got hoovered into the aircon and all sorts of "stuff" was growing in there. The Dettol killed it and smelled an awful lot better than any of the air con cleaners I have tried.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Mank growing in the aircon.

May get away with disinfecting it as described, btu the best solution is to rip the dash/blower fan out and physically remove the fungus/mould/erk and disinfect directly.

In future - leave the climate control on and it'll funk-up less than if you turn the A/C on/off all the time.

Reply to
markocosic

Do you live close to any pubs?

Reply to
Depresion

Hehe I know where this is going, but it would be physically impossible to piss into a Audi's intake, there is no vents on the bonnet or anywhere you can see, and the pollen filter is clean and free of any yellow substances and smells fine lol. :)

Reply to
Ronny

in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, "Ronny" slurred :

Or possibly he was thinking that some sort of yeast might be vented from there and and up growing in your nice warm moist AC system.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

yes, i'm sure that was it ;o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Er, you should be using your aircon on at least a weekly basis - preferably just leave it on all the time.

If you don't, then mold grows inside it, and it stinks, and the seals dry out, and the compressor doesn't get lubricated, and the whole system dies in a VERY expensive way.

You have mold in your aircon system.

Do all the above again. Lots. With some stronger stuff.

Once you have it none-stinking, then just leave the aircon running all the time.

Almost all AirCon faults are almost always due to lack of use !

Reply to
Nom

I know this, I put my air con on all the time when the temp is above 5c, below that it does not work.

It's only been the weekend when the weather was actually warm that this smell happend, I will buy another can of aircon cleaner

Reply to
Ronny

Yeah but surely spraying a liquid into the fan motor is bad? I only sprayed a couple of squirts.

Reply to
Ronny

Um, that's not the main reason why funky stuff / smells grow in air-con systems. The reason it happens is because at some point the aircon has been used, and moisture has built up on the evaporator - and this tends to be a warm environment, so conducive to the build up of funky stuff.

The best preventative measure, is to run your fans / air distribution / climate control without the aircon for the last few minutes of your journey, in order for the moisture to evaporate.

Yebbut that's a different thing to why funky smells grow.

In which case it will build up again, when the car is turned off.

As I've mentioned, the best _prevention_ is to try and avoid moisture build-up / hanging around within the ducting - especially the evaporator.

Uncannily though, not this one.

Reply to
Douglas Hall