Smell the desperation :-)

I drove from Monaco to home in one go, stopping for only fuel and a ferry. It did suck a bit, but there was three of us and we did actually manage to keep the convo going for the whole journey - even when we were on the M1 and I was using two lanes due to the need for nap time. The other guys were the same but the front seat passenger knew he had to keep me awake or die. So the talking bollocks and exagerating tall tales about wine, women and song never stopped heh.

We must've been doing 300-350 miles to a tank - although don't quote me on that. When we got to Monaco ISTR that the trip reckoned we were averaging

31mpgish, and that includes the ring, and the Stelvio pass. When we got home, it had dropped to about 27-28mpg IIRC. The Clio was at about twelve million rpm in 6th, cruise was set at 95 [1], with every French speed camera acknowledged in the correct way to keep up foreign relations :-) The last fill up was just off the ferry back in blighty, and we got home on that. So we must've filled up, hmm, brimmed it in Monaco, 1000-1100miles ish all motorways [2] to Calais, hitting one town/city somewhere on the way that the sat nav seemed to like, but we didn't lose more than a half hour - so 4 or 5 fills I guess.

Really, I'm not sure I'd want to drive that far like that again, but if we'd stopped somewhere over night say, near Calais, it would just feel like we were stopping for the sake of it, and would waste the following day.

I don't know why I keep writing these really long, 99% OT posts, I offer my apologies though. I mean, this one is just silly, I've written more in the foot notes than I have in the actual post. Not that anyone needs to actually read, well, any of it hehe :-) I can't sleep, and I'm un-comfy anyway so I'm fidgeting, and I also have an annoying, pretty strong, lingering pain in my ribs on both sides.

[1]One time in Germany we set it at 135mph hehe, the book top end is 134mph, GPS said we were doing about 132-134, but there was revs left and we got way over the book speed, GPS verified a few times after that [2] Along with about eur150 in tolls - I've noticed the euro currancy sign doesn't seem to show up on Usenet, it just appears as some kind've ascii code - why is that anyone? I'm just using "ascii" 'cos it's a word about code I've heard before, I have no idea what it means :-) [3] The human fuel rate was quite high too, with about 30 bottles of Coke/Cherry Coke/Sprite/Lilt, god knows how many sandwiches and shared bags of crisps (all between 3 of us obviously - we're not that big-a porkers!). We found these weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell nice crisps over there, can't remember the brand, but they were like, grilled ham/steak or something, and in a really big bag... If anyone that frequents France and can guess what they are wants to post me a bin bag full of packs- I'd be incrediblly grateful, and obviously, I'll pay you :-) ?
Reply to
DanB

[...]

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No need.

We've always got the option of not reading them, haven't we?

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed.

Reply to
JackH

Excellent, now I can ignore you because I don't speak Frog.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Aye that too. Although most hired 318ds seem to go better than privately owned 320ds! :-)

Reply to
DervMan

Reply to
DervMan

Not in the proper sense, no, not at one bar. But in feeling, and since it's Christmas I'm going to get all touchy feely on you, it feels low blow. :-)

Dervy likes big, flat torque plateaus...

Reply to
DervMan

Same handling, just not enough poke. The 1.6 feels handicapped. All have effectively the same mileage.

One of my favourite four cylinder engines of all time.

Reply to
DervMan

That equates to an average of about 120mph. Achieving an average of much over 70mph on typical UK motorways isn't easy, so the limiting factor tends not to be the range offered by the fuel tank, but by your boredom threshold or bladder.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Aw you guys :-) The German server seems to have just perked up again.

Reply to
DanB

Petrol round here went to 87.9 for a few days last week, Diese didn't change, so it was even more expensive than petrol of course now.

Reply to
DanB

I think you've mis-read, he does already, 4.0 V6 Ford Explorer.

Reply to
DanB

Don't you worry: since 1 UKP nearing 1 Eur, a lot of UK-pensioners=20 living in France are heading home, broke. They might teach you.

Google "dordogneshire"=20

You like bashing a "smallish country" but fail to realise that the UK is=20 now *a lot* smaller and weaker than the Euro-zone.=20

As said before : stick your obsolete UK-superiority feeling where the=20 light doesn't shine, because it is history and with your actual attitude = =20 not likely to return.

Ceci marque la fin de mes r=E9ponses. Bonne journ=E9e.=20

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Remember, f****it, exchange rates go up as well as down.

We'll remind you of this next time you need help because one of your European neighbours decides to invade you.

I see no 'obsolete UK-superiority' being posted here - only the mad rantings of a Belgian, with a micro-penis and an inferiority complex.

A assume you're a Frog / Flemish speaking Belgian, which explains a lot

- even the Dutch speaking part of the country hates you....

'Belgium: An accident of history with football and beer'

Reply to
SteveH

This one? ? (tempts fate), it's named after Arthur Ascii - a so-called comedian from late 14th century Dusseldorf.

Reply to
Pete M

Just think if we'd have let the Germans have that they might have made good cars there.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I emptied a full tank in 1 non stop run through germany. 170 miles, 65 litres. Rover 75 2.0V6s will do 145mph, at the limiter, in top. 13mpg...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yep, all the shove comes in early then disappears in an anti-climax.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Was it just you driving on that trip? Ages back me and a couple of mates randomly went up north to Preston to see a snooker match on a whim (turned out to be the most boring match ever - Steve Davis vs Alan McManus - a mistake on my part - I thought we were seeing the other side of the draw which was a much better lineup, but I just booked tickets for "the evening session" without even confirming who). Anyway, on the way there and back we took turns in driving - particularly great on the way back - was a Metro GTi (SPI not MPI sadly, still an awesomely responsive engine though IMHO), and sharing the driving worked an absolute treat - one could sleep in the back (wedged inside the interior width of a Metro on the back seat, no, not like that, is a surprisingly snug and comfy place to be) while the other would be in the front, either talking to the driver, or reclining back himself. Whoever had just had an hour or so's kip would then drive as they felt the most refreshed, and whilst I can only speak for me, I didn't feel the remotest bit tired - was a brilliant way to share the driving.

Reply to
AstraVanMann