Smoking Ban

Since the English smoking bad in public places was discussed here earlier I thought I'd give an update on what happened when the Scottish ban came into place here a month ago. The facts presented here are only for my local pubs. From day one of the ban the pubs have been busier and I can go home at the end of the night without my clothes and hair stinking of smoke. I haven't heard a single smoker complain about the ban. Tonight I was speaking with a smoking couple and they were saying how great the ban was, instead of 80 a night between them they're were now smoking less that 20 a night. Several of the smokers I know have quit and won't be starting again. So far it looks like everyone has gained from the ban apart from the tobacco suppliers.

Reply to
Homer

And the Chancellor. Very soon, the scottish executive are going to increase the tax on deep fried mars bars, so that you can get suitable funds into NHS hospitals. Without smoking revenue coming in, all those log term care self medicating patients will have to start swiping their credit cards, instead of pressing a button when they need an extra shot of morphine for pain relief.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Goodo.

Uh-huh. That was Charlie's biggest "problem" with the UK after relatively smoke-free California. The stench.

So no riots in the street and suchlike? :-p

Goodo.

Apart from the tax man, although of course the impact will be immaterial compared to hiking up fuel prices once more...

Reply to
DervMan

No more than usual.

Reply to
Homer

Not really, he's making more than enough extra from the petrol prices going up again. 106p for BP Ultimate here now :-(

Reply to
Homer

And the rest of us, who will have our tazes increased to make up the loss from people quitting en masse?

Reply to
Abo

That's not far off double what we pay over here for it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

piss off you gas drinking son of an ozzy bitch! we'll have no smart ass replies like that round here! newsgroup equivalant of na na nana na that is!

Reply to
Vamp