So a little bit of snow...

...and for the first time, ever, I decided that it wasn't worth trying to get to work.

I feel wrong.

Reply to
DervMan

Stop the rot!! Can't believe the airports are in chaos. I flew into Munich last weekend in much more snow than this and it was fine and dandy.

Reply to
fishman

So you should ;-)

( Page Title :- Why doesn't Scotland grind to a halt when it snows ? )

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

To be fair, around Driffield it is rock solid sheet ice under the slush, even on the main A roads.

Reply to
Conor

Heheh. It's not really snowing at the moment in Scotland though is it?

Not like in the t'old days.

Still, this was the scene at work yesterday:

It was just icy today.

A bewildering array of mad equipment gets rolled out at the airport when its cold.

The fleet of UniMog powered, steel snow brushes is pretty cool to watch. In the dark they make sparks on the concrete.

I like watching helicopters hovering and taxiing in the snow too.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Aye. I also have a lot of self belief that I won't be doing the stuffing, it'll be somebody from the "if the control doesn't seem to work, apply it more" school of driving.

Reply to
DervMan

I've just ordered some Vredestein Snowtrac tyres for my 106.

Ooh arr!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Oh don't remind me. On the way into work I pass over a cross roads near a golf club. This morning some tit decided to turn right across the font of me as I passed over the cross road. Then as he realised that the road was covered with ice and snow he slammed on all his anchors as hard as he could and slid into a hedge. Fortunately I'd realised he was a tit because of the speed he came up to the junction at, so his brake/skid antic was done a safe distance ahead of me. I didn't bother to stop to see if he was OK though, that played on my conscience for at least 0.1 seconds.

The road was like glass, but OK to drive on if one took care.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Douglas Payne gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I bought some last year for the 900.

Chalk & cheese.

Reply to
Adrian

Wouldn't they work a bit better if they were made out of rubber, fabric and steel?

Reply to
Steve Firth

The above story will by now have been told in a variety of pubs, but from the perspective of, the road was so slippery I had no chance.

Anyway now I know why the kerbs at the corner close to where we live have lots of marks and chunks missing.

Reply to
DervMan

I've *still* not managed to get the Audi to even slide. Getting pissed off now.

Reply to
Pete M

Lol, I can make the IS slip and spin the wheels with every "safety aid" switched on including the SNOW button, which just makes it rev slower.

Reply to
Elder

All the bloody A6'll do is very occasionally spin one of the rear wheels until the non-switchable TC kills the wheelspin :(

It's excellent fun pulling away from junctions, I've had more than my fair share of amusement winding up BMW drivers by just pulling away from the lights like its dry and watching various 3 and 5 series bog down completely because of their TC going postal.

I still have to remind myself that 4wd doesn't mean the bloody thing will stop. I've nearly gone arse over apex getting out of the car a few times because I've not realised the ice has been as bad as it has. ABS is about the only reminder, and that only kicks in when I'm being daft.

Reply to
Pete M

We got slush this afternoon - still no proper snow. So was a little bit slidey on the way home, which some people failed to realise, but not really the snow drifts I was hoping for. However on Wednesday I'm driving to Peterborough where there's a few inches, so I'll be able to test the little C1s abilities, especially on the last 10 miles which is all B / minor roads. Not going to bother with the Ibiza as it's an understeery/oversteery mess in the dry so it'll have no hope in snow.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

On the other hand you might find the Ibiza settles down in slippery stuff..?

There's only one way to find out... FIGHT!

Reply to
DervMan

Heheheheheh, found a snowy car park this morning. It does silly things once you get it drifting.

Reply to
Pete M

If I can find some snow next week when i reinsure it I will make sure I find out!

I'm now dropping a mate off to pick up an 106 Rallye tomorrow too, so even more opportunity to drive the fast little B roads in Lincs! (that are not so fast at the mo) :)

What I'd really like back is the XR4x4 for the drive. Now that would be awesome fun.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I discovered on Christmas Eve that the Saab's traction control works when reversing (trying to get up our driveway)...

Reply to
DervMan