So what's the deal with E39 BMWs then?

I've been keeping an eye out for a 5-series and noticed that the earlier (pre-facelift) ones seem to be stupidly cheap compared to a couple of years ago. They also don't seem to be getting the "local drug lord" treatment quite as often as SteveH suspected.

Is there anything that I'm missing here or are the bigger engined ones really getting that cheap and how broken are they?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

The tossers and drug dealers changed to driving Audi cars a few years ago. No demand so they are cheap, grab a bargain while you can.

Reply to
Roger

Big cars got hit badly by the impending changes to the VED system which in turn didn't happen, and haven't really recovered that well since.

Possibly because people are tightening the belts anyway of late.

Good cars anyway... I think you should buy an M5 (1) and hang the expense. ;-)

(1) Only so I can then buy it off you when you leave the country. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

They are that cheap, and I think, are better value than a similar age

3series. A good early E39 can be bought for less than 1.5k. Mine is a '96 528i auto. 184k but the engine is still smooth and quiet. Doesn't burn or lose any oil, and IMO the 528i is the best choice of engine. Plenty of power and not too thirsty. No body rust or upholstery damage, and everything works. I've had it for over 2 years, and during that time, excluding a new set of tyres soon after I bought it, I doubt it has cost me £500 in maintainance and service costs, and has never let me down. Nearly once when the camshaft sensor thrw a wobbly, but it did run and got me home I'd reccommend one to anyone who wants a cheap s/h family car .that is quiet comfortable and nice to drive. Corners well too. :-) Mike.
Reply to
Miike G

I don't know what you're trying to suggest...

Reply to
Pete M

's what I thought, too. Or hoped for, at least.

I was more thinking of something like this:

In fact I might consider contacting the guy and see if he'll consider the TDI a smaller car...

There isn't any law that says you can't buy something that's not an M5 off me :-)

Reply to
Timo Geusch

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:54:54 +0100, Timo Geusch yelled loudly:

Nice. I didn't realise they were so cheap these days.

Reply to
Mike P

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Reply to
Miike G

Most of it, but not all - Nikasil related problems tended to occur in certain parts of the country more than others, IIRC, due to fuel coming out of particular refineries. Vamp (of this parish)'s E36 328i suffered from that problem, and ISTR Dave Plowman mentioning it being a point he was well aware of when buing his E39 528i.

I see your point about the chances being remote, but not remote, based on what else I've read on here, to call it a non-issue.

Couldn't agree more on that point :-)

Or just something to be aware of regardless.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Yeah I was about to mention Vamp. Where is Vamp these days???

Reply to
fishman

Apart from what I've said already, AFAIK all M52 6 cyl engines manufactured after March '98 had steel liners, so any made after that date will have no potential Nikasil problem. This makes the cars fitted with that engine, especially the E39, a particularly good s/h buy. More so than a 3 series, which in a similar condition usually cost quite a bit more. It's slightly smaller, but apart from that I see little reason for its greater popularity. Mike.

Reply to
Miike G

I'd stay clear of the V-8s - they tend to be higher maintenance. The most common early large 6 will be a 528. Quite quick as a manual and ok as an auto. Early ones will usually be high spec as they were gold dust new - so BMW capitalised on that.

Mine is a '97 auto bought at two years old. The fact I've still got it says what I think of the design. They are quite DIY friendly once you've understood them - just a glance under the bonnet can give you the shudders.

They seem very good from the rot point of view - mine isn't garaged and is showing none.

Main thing to check is for front wheel wobble at about 60 mph when braking gently - means worn track control bushes. Not too expensive to change the arms. Check the cooling system carefully too - switch on the AC full blast and leave it idling with a hot engine for as long as you can and check the temp stays normal. Overheating can wreck the head.

Mine had what may have been a rare fault - both front suspension legs broke where the spring bears on them. May have been down to speed humps - I dunno. Dunno either if you'd see cracks etc before it collapsed.

Otherwise it's been fine. Tyre life is good and it's very economical on a run - I went to Folkestone over the weekend and averaged 33mpg. Cruising at 80 where possible. Town traffic brings this down considerably - although a manual will be better.

They have a bit of a dual personality. Mine is on the standard 15" wheels. Drive it normally and it's just a fairly quiet and comfortable cruiser. Not in the Jag league comfort wise - but not bad. Press on, and everything seems to firm up and it can be hurled down twisty roads. The stability control is simply marvellous on wet roads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Apart from a barn find I'd guess any car in regular use that has the Nikasil engine will be fine - given high sulphur fuel has been illegal in the UK for ages. But just check for a perfect hot idle - you should do that with any of the sixes anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Too right - I was visiting my brother over the weekend and he has a 330T. I have to bend my head when getting into the front. Really knobbly ride compared to my 528 - although he has large wheels. Generally a lot noisier too. He searched for a 530T manual locally but couldn't find one - hence the 330. Which he complains is too small for his needs - just the two of them plus big dog. And towing a caravan a lot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)