So wrong on so many levels.

But I can't help liking it.

Elder

Hmm, I've never liked that conversion. The engine is just wrong for a Range Rover. It's too heavy and the torque tends to f*ck gearboxes and drivetrain. It certainly isn't a good match for the autobox.

There's a Nissan diseasel conversion that makes more sense.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Is it a common(ish) one then?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

[snip]

The Nissan? It used to be. There was a company calling itself "Samurai" that did a huge number of conversions. I think that the engines were sourced from Japanese taxis. Nissan SD33T six cylinder turbo engines I think which weigh about the same as the Land Rover 2.5 diesel. The SD33 is 140 bhp at 3800rpm and 188ft/lb of torque.

I think it's also possible to get the 4.2 diesel from a Nissan Patrol into the Range Rover but it takes more chopping than the SD33T which is more or less straightforward. The Nissan SD33Ts were plentiful and cheap at one time.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I was actually thinking of the GM, as I've never heard of it before but it sounded like you had some experience- sorry, I wasn't clear. Thanks for the info on the Nissam anyway: I *have* heard of that. Does the Nissan give any real advantage, or is it just that the engine is (presumably) easily available thanks to the Japanese scrapping cars?

The GM sounds interesting, even if as Elder says, it's 'wrong'.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Oh righto, yes it was a common conversion mostly in the USA where the GM

6.2L diseasel is common. When I first moved to Hampshire a local Land Rover dealer was working on a project to convert about 50 Land Rovers to the 6.2 diesel for use by the US marines in the first Gulf War.

Never owned a GM diesel in a Range Rover and TBH wouldn't like to. It's a huge, heavy engine and completely wrong for the Range Rover. It takes serious chassis modification to fit one and I don't think it fits the Range Rover engine bay that well. Also the springs and dampers would have to be seriously uprated.

The Nissan had more power than the Land Rover diesels around at the time

- about 50% more IIRC and was well matched to the LR transmission. It was also light and suitably sized for the engine compartment.

If you look there's a website somewhere describing the conversion. It looks umm, "heroic".

Reply to
Steve Firth