Sold Capper.

Sold the Capri. On the lookout for its replacement now. Fancy something RWD and old that I can shove a hoofing great V8 in and blast down a drag strip.

Reply to
Conor

Buy either a BMW 5, a AR75 or... a Capri.

I would advise against a Capri ;-)

But why not a Lotus Omega?

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Why didn't you just put a V8 in the Capri? Or did you just fancy a change?

How about a Manta? Or an old 3 series. Or a Volvo 240 estate - that'd be amusing.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

for its replacement now. Fancy something

I know where there's a cheap W124...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Why not stick with the theme and stick a hyuge nitroused Rover V8 into a Sierra...?

Reply to
PCPaul

Because I'd have to undo a shitload of time, effort and money after getting it to where it was. I couldn't bring myself to do that to it. Decided that as it's probably going to result in transmission tunnel carving up etc that getting something I hadn't had any time invested in would be a better idea.

Reply to
Conor

There's a thought...Sierras are shit cheap so I could afford to c*ck it up at least once or twice.

Reply to
Conor

Only do a US small block, not a rover, lighter and more powerful and probably more reliable.

Reply to
Elder

How about a capri and a small block auto with nitrous? Should run 10s if you do it right easily enough?

Reply to
Burgerman

You wouldnt be able to because I am here!

But you really need either big downdraft carb/bike carbs/injection and not SUs unless like me you know what you are doing! And nitrous or I wont help!

And 10.5 to 1 motors go well. The rest suck. And the flywheels are way too heavy and actually unessasary.

mine...

Reply to
Burgerman

??? Iron and heavy. I drove an XR8 belonging to a guy I met at the pod. My alloy V8 sierra handled better, and was way faster in a straight line as well...

and more powerful and

When it comes to V8s they are all big heavy and gutless "as they come" sir. The difference is that they are easy and cheap to tune and as strong as hell!

The most powerful V8 is just the one with the most tuning or the most nitrous or the most boost etc. A twin turbo or serious rover V8 can make very serious power! And be reliable. And light!

How do you expect an iron block and heads to be lighter than an alloy one?

The one that I fitted to my sierra was almost exactly the same weight as the iron 1.6 ford pinto boat anchor that it replaced. Much more than double the capacity and twice as many valves and eight cylinders instead of four with NO weight penalty! The bell housing (being alloy rather than cast steel) was lighter and the 5 speed manual SD1 box was about the same as the ford but massively stronger. (Read I couldnt break it! after trying very hard with drag strips and nitrous)

Reply to
Burgerman

I thought the same when it was posted but assume he's talking about the LSx alloy block Chevys.

Reply to
Homer

I know someone with a LS1 which they could probably be persuaded to sell, it's sat in a stock car doing nothing after the series fell apart. It was producing 450bhp with injection and a set engine map. If you replaced the injection with a Holley it's be pretty mental

Reply to
Abo

Just as long as you agonise over it for the next three months then just get another Capri, to keep it on topic! ;-)

Reply to
DervMan

Bastard :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The deeper the pockets, the more mental the engine :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Why? Let me guess. Yours is a SD1? or worse a low compression range rover motor?

Power. 10.5 to 1 P6 motors were the most powerful by a good margin (@ 178 BHP) even with their smaller valves and simple single downpipe 4 into 1 ex/manifolds.. Thats soley due to the compression. With the SD1 heads (bigger valve) and better (tubular TR8 ones) on a P6 block you get over 200 and masses of low down power. Cheap! Then you get a bit of pickup! Fast throttle response. Listen to mine (other link). It has a "very" lightened flywheel and 10.5 to one. Sounds like a bike engine with its 8 into 1 Ford Cargo (cheapo) straight through truck 3inch bore back box... Actually only box...

SD1 motors were slower 155bhp due to the lower compression and weak running (emissions...) SU carbs and different advance curves.

The Fuel injection version was slightly better but all that technology just made up for the lower compression engine and its emmissions crap.

Range rover motors and MGB motors were dismal slow to rev agricultural units. They had a daft low compression figure, and equally crap power output. All due to low compression.

So you know what you have to do!

Plus a good cam, solid lifters, 11 to 1 pistons, and a good valve seat job with decent exhaust manifolds, and system, as well as a downdraft carb (holley or in the case of the one we did cheap for my brother a bored out on my lathe Weber) and lots of power can be had.

They are all dead strong and in a really low state of tune.

Reply to
Burgerman

How about an old mk2 Granada? something like this,

ThePunisher

That's what I was thinking of when I suggested it...

Also Burgerman, I'm still serious about putting nitrous on my Mondeo as the *practical* solution to what I want from it(!). Would you prefer me to email you about it or ask questions on here and spread the knowledge around? (in a new thread, obviously. I'm not trying to annoy Conor (this time;-))

Cheers PCPaul

Reply to
PCPaul

Either way. Whats stopping you?