Soundproofing (again)

Righto, got the new stereo in the car (only 4x50W) but as it's a Ka, the music is nearly as loud outside the car as inside. I'm a cheap bastard, so solutions of the "go and get x, y and z" from B&Q are better than "Spend all your money on dynamat". I've read of roof flashing being handy for sticking on the insides of doors etc. Do you do the whole thing or just stick a bit on? The speakers are in the front doors and on a parcel shelf.

Reply to
Doki

In article , snipped-for-privacy@SPAMMENOTspidar.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

What you want is the smooth roofing felt underlay. Flashing tape tends to be lead or heavy Aluminium.

The smooth felt is bitcumen based like Dynamat. And for the price of a sheet of dynamat you get a huge roll that will do a complete fleet of KA's

Look for IceGuard and similar named brands.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Heh, i nearly went to B&Q to buy some flashing tape today. Only my lazyness stopped me doing so.

Ill head down tomorrow to look for this IceGuard stuff. I presume it looks exactly the same as Dynamat? Its just the name 'felt' implies it to be fluffy to me :) Does anyone know if this stuff is flamable? I dont fancy decking my car out in it to risk being burnt to a cripsy state if the car goes up :)

Matt

Reply to
dirtycow

Soundproofing adds weight :) Don't wanna make the Ka any slower do you?

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

Have you tried it yourself? Did you get good results? I've got to do my boot, doors and some rear panels at some point soon...

Reply to
Simon Burrows

When I had the Old Estelle, with the transaxle and engine sat right up against the fuel tank, when it was below half way it would get very boomy. A couple of layers of that in the rear storage area, below the rear seat, and the floor directly in front of it, did a fantastic job of making damping it out so you could actually hear a standard radio pal,ying at Motorway speeds.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Ah. Magma. Cool.

Fibre pacling like fibreglass wool, or foom would be better than sheet for rattles. The sheeting is more for deadening boom and vibration, but if the vibration is causing the rattle it may help.

have alook and ask in uk.rec.car.audio too. Someone in there may care to help out on this question too.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Nice one, will do :-)

Reply to