Speed camera detectors to be banned

Devices which detect speed cameras are to be banned, the Government has revealed. The Department for Transport said it would seek to ban the dashboard devices as soon as possible because of fears motorists were using them to break speed limits without being caught. Thousands of drivers have installed the detectors after a huge rise in the number of speed camera penalties. They have already been banned in many European countries including France and Ireland. A Department for Transport spokeswoman said: "We are aware of the problem and as soon as a legislative opportunity becomes available we will seek to make these devices illegal." Road safety groups welcomed the announcement. Rob Gifford of the Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety told The Times: "This is a long overdue closing of a legal loophole. "Speed camera detectors should not be needed by law-abiding drivers." Transport minister David Jamieson yesterday said he was happy for people to know where the cameras were. But he did not want information to be passed on revealing whether or not they were switched on. He told a Commons committee: "If there is a map showing where they are, then I think that's a good idea, because people will then be very careful in that area." He also ruled out random breath-testing and said there were no plans to lower the legal drink-drive limit.

Reply to
Homer