speeding

So what happens if you completely remove your dash and replace it with independent speedometer and rev counter? will it fail the mot due to no proof of mileage?

Reply to
REMUS

Ronny wrote: (speedos)

There are thousands of things that would make a car illegal that aren't checked on the MOT.

A functioning speedo is a legal requirement for most vehicles.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Burgermans other computer wrote: [...]

No it isn't.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

This is one of my pet peeves. I am sure there was a time when this was true, but nowadays with all the computing power in a car, and accurate sensors on the wheels doing things like traction control, presumably it is easy to make a speedo very accurate.

I assume the reason manufactures make the speedo read high is that "stupid people TM" will take them for a test drive, and think they get to 70 faster, and are more smooth, quieter etc. at 70 than an identical car with one that reads accurately.

If I was buying anything that had an important instrument that was 10% out I would take it back. How they get away with this I do not know.

Just a bit of a rant. I shall get my coat now.

Reply to
David Jones

Exactly. Request the photos. You might be able to see the face of the driver (or obvious distinguishing features like long/spikey hair). If not, then the picture doesn't prove *who* was driving, though the surroundings may jog someone's memory as to who was driving along that stretch of road at that particular time. The car could have been lent to an elderly relative, who at the time had their own insurance to drive other cars 3rd party, and has since given up driving. Who knows.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Fail an MOT due to no proof of mileage? You what? All an MOT proves is that, at the time of the test, it wasn't chucking out too many poisonous gases, it stopped, and it wasn't falling apart too much in a few critical places in the car's structure.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Whoops I ment to reply to ronnys post:

"MOTORCYCLE SPEEDO Does my motorcycle require a speedometer for an MOT? If not what milage would the Tester put down on the VT20 or VT12? Phil You will be pleased to hear that the speedometer is not checked in the MOT. The Tester would simply note that the motorcycle has no speedometer. -MOTTSo the guy is wrong on that website then?"

Reply to
REMUS

Nope.

Wrong. MOT is a SAFETY check.

WRONG.

And? VOSA CAN decide to check it at anytime they wish.

Reply to
Conor

THere is a legal requirement that no radiuses on a car are less than

10mm but that's not checked in an MOT either. Also there is a requirement for brake pipe clips to be fitted at a specific spacing but that's not in the MOT test either.
Reply to
Conor

thats an sva approval test

Reply to
dojj

This is exactly why they *tend to be* about 10% plus.

Although some are more accurate than others.

I don't greatly care, I find out what mine are up to and when I'm tweaking the springs to read right I set it up to be accurate. Then I distrust it when going past cameras, just in case.

If I'm using the sat nav I believe that - depending on circumstances.

Reply to
Questions

Exactly.

'They' allow an unspecified 'amount', varying from region to region. To say that it is ten percent is just a guess.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

The clue is in the "AND USE" part.

HTH

Reply to
Lordy.UK

An MOT is (for the most part) a visual test of components. The speedometer is not included because it would need an 'on the road' test.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Yes..to make sure it complies with C&U regs. My point being that alot of what is in C&U regs, such as speedo accuracy, isn't in an MOT.

Reply to
Conor

I'm just going on guidelines laid down by the Association of chief police officers.

Reply to
Ronny

Yes, but, yes but, yes but, the idea of that is they're guided, not you. You have to present yourself as unknowing. If you start off saying "your guidelines say..." then you will be slapped down and jailed for failing to present a specimen defence for six months and have to toss Vamp's soap in front of him when Bubba is looking for a new biatch.

Reply to
Questions

The key word there was:

G U I D E L I N E S

this has been a public service announcement from the "Safety Cameras Will Screw You" awareness project.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

harrr, to be sure, they more like guidelines than actual rules as such...

a pox on parle (sic)

Reply to
Theo

I wouldn't expect you to work it out...you can't find it on Google.

Reply to
Conor