Sportwagon

Drove the 156 Sportwagon for the first time today. Have had it all afternoon and done a fair few miles in it.

Feels much more solid and 'all of a piece' than any Alfa I have ever driven before. Suspension was firm but not choppy. Like that. Engine note on this '51 plate car was not the same as the other 1.8 I was last in around 2000 - that was a 'T' reg so only around 2 years old at the time. Indifferent about that.

Everything works and - yes, it's true - nothing feels like it's about to fall off.

Cool looking thing and very satisfying to be in.

However...

Don't like the steering at all.

Very very weighty and - I hate to say it - quite lifeless. I suppose that's a good thing if you want a soothing drive and you don't want a frenetic hedge and white line seeking missile. But I expected more life out of the front end.

As it is - and I can scarcely believe I'm about to say this - I very much prefer the front end on my A4. I think I will keep this relationship on a 'borrow it when I want' basis and buy the Golf GTI instead.

There you go, I've said it.

(P.S. Having owned 2 Alfas, I believe I still qualify as a petrolhead.)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Is that one with a facelift interior? - did it have a fuel computer etc. in the middle, on top of the dash?

Very, very odd.

The steering in my Focus is heavier than in our 156 and much more communicative.

Didn't you find it very 'direct', though? - as in, the slightest turn sends you shooting off in that direction....

You're strange.

But we knew that already.

Reply to
SteveH

No at all, that's how all 156s feel.

Bollocks.

I suspect a typo has made you utter an accurate comparison there.

As in "it's crap" you mean?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Having had 2 and driven quite a lot of miles in them, I can assure you, you're talking s**te.

Erm, it is. Having driven them back to back, I think I can make some valid comparisons here.

As in, it has a 'quicker' rack than just about any other mainstream car.

That's what makes it feel 'odd' to begin with - the 156 rack is at least

1 turn lock to lock 'quicker' than almost everything else.

(ISTR it's just over 2 turns lock to lock)

Reply to
SteveH

No - no fuel computer.

No, sorry to say, I didn't. There was no great alacrity to initial turn in. Have checked the tyres and they're all decent makes in good nick. I would maybe have to spend some more time with it, but as it stands, that's the only bit I'm not taken with. The rest is very agreeable.

Thanks - I take that as a compliment.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I've consulted another Alfisti elsewhere.

He agrees with me, that car needs looking at as there's something very, very wrong if it's heavy and uncommunicative.

Reply to
SteveH

Hold on - you said the Focus has more communicative steering than a 156? Wasn't one of your main moans with Foci (and Mondeos, and Fords in general) that the steering was uncommunicative and rubbery?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Doh! Missed that f*ck-up.

I made a typo.

Reply to
SteveH

[snip]

Having driven several in Italy I can assure you that I'm not.

Previously you've denies that the Focus steering is more communicative than the Alfa. It is, so it's good to see you turning around.

Yeah, pointless because it's a crap track car and it's vile on road.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have never heard this criticism levelled at the 156 steering before.

Only here.

Typo. The Focus steering is artificial and s**te.

I've played with all 3 settings, none of which appear to be any good at all - one setting makes it too heavy, one is about right, but still very obviously not directly connected to the front wheels and one is almost as comedic as a 1970s film.

Once you adjust to it, you wonder why all cars aren't like it.

Reply to
SteveH
[Alfa 156]

Well for one thing, I like the bit nailed to the car to stay nailed, not distribute themselves along the road as I drive.

As I've said before, one 156 I had was so bad that I took it back and swapped it for an Astra. The Astra was better in every way that mattered.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, but you rate the Ford Exploder.

Reply to
SteveH

As a 4x4 yes, it's much better than the majority of vehicles in its class. I'd swap it for an Amazon VX and at a pinch for a Volvo XC90 although the XC is just a bit too small.

I'm not under any illusions about it being a sports car - even if it does outpace many so-called "hot hatches" that aren't as hot as theor manufacturers make out.

You really don't want me to compare the 156 to an XJR, do you? Not when the Alfa is outclassed by the Focus.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We won't agree on this, but I have both sat outside the house.

The Focus only ever moves if it's on business trips. Even then I try to find excuses not to use it.

Reply to
SteveH

Umm hmmm. Unfortunately your perception is coloured by prejudice, mine by experience.

Because it's a Ford, and it's a company car and you seem to have a phobia about Fords. The Focus isn't just a bit better than the 156 when it comes to handling it's way, way better.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Very nice place to be though the XC. And the new XC60 is even better inside.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp