Stereo stuff.

I'm beginning to think my old Kenwood MP3 CD player isn't long for this life. I've been on a spending splurge this week stereo wise.

The Rangie has six uprated speakers in the standard positions, a Sony X-plod amp, and an Alpine Bass Engine sub in the boot.

This set up works well.

However, the head unit position in a Range Rover Classic is on a bloody silly angle, it's virtually vertical, but not quite.

The head unit is now 3 years old, and has been in a lot of my cars, however, it's beginning to take an age to find discs, ages to find the next track, and is coming up with TOC errors more often by the week. It was doing this in the Merc as well, so I don't think it's entirely due to the angle it is mounted at. It also does it whether or not the car is stationary or moving, so I doubt it's the shock absorbing mechanism that is playing up.

I've run cd lens cleaning discs through it, with very little success. Tonight I opened the player up for the first time and cleaned the lens in the time honoured "cotton wool bud and lens cleaning solution" manner, and it's still taking its time to find tracks, load discs up. Not made any difference really, although it is slightly better at keeping hold of a tune, instead of pausing and trying to find it's feet.

*so*

Do I buy one of these Sony MP3 CD players I can get rather cheaply - i.e. meant to be £200, but I can get for £150, an Alpine one for the same deal, or get the Kenwood serviced?

Problem I'm having is most new head units seem to be some bloody stupid colour like bright blue, display wise, or they have all the toys but only display in capitals and have loads of stupid "dancing horse" type display pictures.

All I want is a great sounding, quick loading, MP3 cd player with a good tuner, sub level controls, green display (pref switchable to amber if needed), a decent stable inbuilt amp with "50watts"+ [1], bass / mid / treble controls would be nice.

Don't give a toss about being able to show jpegs on the screen, motorised front panels, flashing displays, "equalisers" etc, just want the bloody thing to work reliably for a few years.

[1] Yes, I know the quoted power outputs are a load of Tottenham, but I want something that'll play quite loud without distortion / needing another couple of amps.
Reply to
Pete M

Personally i've always been a big fan of Pioneer units, and rather like this one -

As you can see, no flashy crap, just simple and effective. Personally, think it looks nice and classy. White light for the buttons and buttons and nice brushed chrome. Also, awesome sound quality.

Reply to
DanTXD

From what I can tell you can't go wrong with Alpine, why don't you pick up a copy of "Car Audio" (i think its called) Pete?

Reply to
REMUS

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, DanTXD decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Hmm, I'm not a huge fan of Pioneer stuff, don't know why..

However, the Becker Mexico P7933 looks bloody tempting.

So it'll be either one of those or a Nakamichi CD500 - If I can get one for sensible(ish) money.

Reply to
Pete M

Heh, i'm the same with Sony, no reason for it :-) But its fair, its you that has to pay for it and look at it :D Just thought the style of that one might fit in well with the Rangie.

Nakamichi's rock.

Reply to
DanTXD

In news:42c1f21e$0$18638$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sunsite.dk, Pete M decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

This, no doubt, means I'll end up with a Sony or Alpine tomorrow, and an irresistable urge to buy a Nakamichi...

Reply to
Pete M

Alpine. Good stuff.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Catman recently bought one of these:

Apparently it's *very* good.

Reply to
SteveH

Apparently kenwood do the best mp3 cd units in terms of gaps between tracks on mp3 disks. As Dan said, Pioneer are good, and IME Sony head units sound s**te.

Reply to
doki

Sony stuff is s**te. And not just their car audio. They have really dropped the ball quality wise in the last 10 years.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

We've got Sony head units in the Town Cars, and they don't sound that bad, it's just that they look horrific.

My Kenwood MP3 CD player is now over 3 years old, it's one of the first on the market, the 6090MP or summat.. seek times are pretty lousy on it, always have been, but it's happy with unfinalised discs, MP3, VBR, WMA, and all that jazz.

Reply to
Pete M

Just one thing - ISTR, possibly, maybe, someone, sometime mentioning something about those lens cleaning discs actually doing *much* more harm than good, due to having abrasive properties that end scratch the lens, resulting in the laser beam being deflected slightly the wrong way. I may be talking complete bollock/guesswork, but I could be right. If I am, all you'll need to do is replace the lens(es), then avoid using said cleaning discs in the future, in favour of good old fashioned cotton bud + proper cleaning solution.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Some of the cheaper lens cleaners do use quite hard plastic brushes, which can minutely scratch the plastic lens used by the laser pickup. If your lens is dusty then a cleaner will improve it, if it is clean then it will make it slightly worse. Scratches abberate the focal spot, meaning that the servo mechanism has to get closer to the ideal position, which means that seeking can take longer. If it's scratched enough then the spot will span tracks and the CD player is knackered.

Replacing the lens (... and having the CD player work afterwards...)is unfortunately not necessarily a trivial thing to do, but if it's completely knackered, it's worth a try. Maplin used to sell replacement lenses.

Reply to
Albert T Cone