Storing the 306

I won't be needing the 306 for two or three months because the job I'm on doesn't need me driving around as much; I'll just use the Vectra or (shock) a hire car for any odd trips I need to make. The tax runs out at the end of the month (as does the MOT) so I've SORNd it starting 1st January.

It'll just be parked up at the top of my driveway. I've never had a car stand for more than a couple of weeks before; is there anything I should do either before storing (hmm, it hasn't been driven since before Christmas if I'm honest), or before I start to drive it again?

Reply to
Abo

I'd not bother doing much if it's only for a couple of months. I'd probably inflate the tyres over pressure to help avoid them going out of shape and store the battery in the house so it's not outside in the freezing cold for weeks.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Try and raise the weight off the tyres if you can to stop them flatting at the bottom, and depending on when it was last done and how long it is stored for, give it a normal oil/filter service and check the battery. Do you have any means of float charging the battery while it is off the road.

Keep an eye out for pikeys in hivis jackets pulling it off the drive on the hy-ab. There is something about hivis that makes them look official and nobody asks questions until you get home and find it gone.

Reply to
Elder

Yeah, it's due an oil/filter change in about 500 miles so I'll do that before putting it back on the road.

unfortunately not

Heh good point. It'll still be insured though but I could do without that hassle...

Reply to
Abo

Nah don't bother doing anything, it's only a couple of months and it's not some tempremental classic. I left my old 405 standing for about that long, and it just started as normal, only the stem seals had had longer to leak heh, so the cloud of oil smoke on startup was a bit bigger than normal, although it wasn't half as big as I'd expected.

Reply to
DanB