Sudden cravings

I have a craving to buy an old Jag XJ6. Well, in the early 90s region -

4-litre.. maybe 3.2.. there's some nice shades of deep red you can get them in and always been one of my fave cars lookswise and you can get them for a grand or less.. never driven one and just fancy the pleasure of cruising around in one for a couple of months and then probably flog it on since it could potentially be a big drain on resources if things do start to go wrong.. although if I find one that's been serviced regularly with no obvious engine probs then some reviews suggest it should be pretty reliable. Anyway, do you think this is wise? Also, when you get a second car, if you go with the same insurer do you have to pay the full whack on a second insurance policy or do you get some discount since you're only gonna be driving round in one car at a time?

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

4.0 or 3.6 are the engines to have. The 2.9s and 3.2s are s**te. The engines are bulletproof. Electrics aren't, but tend to go so that the fault reporting computer goes mental, rather than stopping the car.
Reply to
Doki

I've tried arguing this with insurers in the past - it doesn't really work that way in practice (don't even think about trying to use common sense or reason), so no, you can't get like half-price insurance because you're spreading the risk over two cars or somthing. I even tried getting fleet insurance a couple of years ago for the 6 cars we had parked on our driveway. No dice. You can get what might be called a 'second car' policy by some insurers, but I've generally found this to simply be a limited miles policy. Get something like a 3000-mile limit, see if that helps. What you could consider is maybe something like this; in the past I've had one insurance policy and then switched it between cars a few times over a year. Generally there's a small admin charge, but so long as the cars are in a similar group and you can change the car on the policy, it will work out cheaper - it's inconvenient though!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

that's an interesting idea, and I think they would be a similar ins group (my other car is a 600 Ti), but as you say it's a bit of hassle really (unless I get my garage cleared up and can lock the uninsured car in there when it's off the policy). I actually spoke to my ins company about 15 mins before the auction was due to end on one of the jags I fancied.. they did mention the 2nd car option but it was still gonna be like £550 fully comp / £450 3PF&T and that was for under 5k miles, so not all that good really. The guy did suggest getting a "classic car" policy, which apparently can apply to any car more than 10 yrs old and generally costs about 50% of a normal policy - only drawback is that you have to keep the car on your drive, which means I would have to persuade my g/f to park her old Rover 416 on the road ;-) (unless I cleaned the garage out again, of course!). Anyway, the particular Jag I had my eye on, I bid for about 1 minute before the auction end, but what must have been seconds before the auction finished someone beat me and I couldn't get a new bid in on time.. barstewards :( I'm still keeping my eyes open for another one in a nice colour/condition though.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

At the time I had two Peugeot 305's - one a GR (1472cc) and one a GTX (1905cc). I was insured on one, then would just ring up and change the insurance onto the other car. If I was going from the GR to the GTX, I'd have to pay a bit extra to them (plus I think a fiver admin charge), but then when I went back to the GR, they'd pay it back again! I tried to do a similar thing with my GTX and this Porsche 924 I've just bought, but I couldn't put the 924 onto my old policy and haven't tried putting the GTX onto my new policy yet. However, I only really did this a couple of times over the space of a year, I imagine it would get pretty tedious if you were thinking about driving your Jag just at weekends, for example.

I had people tell me I should get a 'classic car' for my 924, but I couldn't seem to actually get a 'classic car' policy from anyone. I use quotation marks because I became convinced that they don't really exist. Mind you, I'm

23, so I guess a classic car stops being classic if I'm driving it ;)

Gah! Always the way. Make sure you bid up to what you're prepared to pay (and then a bit more for the extra that you would be prepared to pay if you still got outbid!), not just enough to have the highest bid.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

The car is still a classic car, but the policy isn't available below a certain age of driver, I would think.

"Classic" is suitably vague anyway, I think it means "anything over ten years old" and I don't think this is very restrictive.

HST, I get excellent insurance on my "classic", includes European cover on demand and also both UK and European breakdown cover, for not a lot of premium. Not that I've actually required the breakdown cover as such.

Reply to
Questions

Depends who you go with. I'm sure I had a classic policy on something before I was 25, but I'm damned if I can remember what - nearly 50 cars in less than 10 years on the road, you start to lose track!

Agreed. Althoguh I'm sure some insurers won't let you call a mk4 Escort a classic, but they might. Never tried to find out, as I drive genuine classics now :)

Ditto. Fully comp, Euro cover, breakdown, god knows what else thrown in, for less than 6 months tax on an average car :)

I've not tried to claim though, so don't know how good they really are, but most of the time it's really not worth the hassle. Like the ignition barrel being bust at the weekend - I've got a spare, so why bugger up my premiums?

Reply to
Stuffed

Yeah, I was kinda being facetious. At any rate, the whole 'classic' thing is somewhat vague - including 'classic insurance' IMO. I don't think it really exists, just a nice name for some policies which are extremely cheap on certain old cars for certain people living in certain areas. I asked a few insurance companies if I could get 'classic insurance' and they kinda tailed off without giving a proper answer.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Don't do it. Jags are evil. I had an XJ12 that nearly sent me insane.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

If you were willing to pay more for it, then you should have bid more with your original bid ! You have nothing to lose, because eBay will only raise you bid as much as it needs to - if you bid £10,000 and the next bidder bids £8,000 then you only pay £8,001 :)

Wait till a minute to go, then bid the maximum you're willing to pay, plus an extra £50 or so (just in case :)

Reply to
Nom

It depends on various things, I reckon. Possibly it is the brokers decision rather than a standard thing. I do know that I have extremely cheap insurance on a powerful car, my regular policy is something like 300 quid on a high group car, whereas the much more powerful, (heavy) v8 convertible with 1970's brakes is 130 quid with all the trimmings.

Mind you, I can easily get quotes for 600+ if I don't seek out better ones.

The club has "specially negotiated policies for members" which seem to be a bit more expensive, too, I've noticed.

Reply to
Questions