Supras. Any good for working on...

Or not. There are very few UK-spec Supras left - around 3,000 assuming all the models on the DVLA computer in 2003 (not scrapped or SORN) are still going - given a death rate of 1 in 3, I'd reckon on there actually being around 2,000 left actually on the road and in decent condition.

Supras are like a Japanese Opel Monza, and shouldn't be killed for the sake of running a big-engined car into the ground. The last Celica Supra is rare now; the MA70 will follow very soon.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

I had a quick eye ball of an H plate for =A31850 that had 12 months=20 ticket, tax for a month, 3 litre turbo manual, red, paint solid but a=20 little faded, no visible rust, leather good, aircon and cruise in=20 working order, service history supposedly complete but missing,=20 stainless full exhaust system, new decent tyres all round.

Gave the guy a ring to talk about it, but when I checked my insurance=20 and the fuel consumption, I decided to back away, adn preserve my=20 wallet, life and bank balance.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

unlikely - mates is a twin turbo auto...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

How can you tell?

Reply to
Depresion

Just found that one. 42 miles away from where I am. Think I might give them a ring. Cheers.

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

There's been a very tidy K-plater on eBay for around £2,500 a couple of times. Personally, I'd have loved it, but can't afford that. However: Insurance - they're group 17. Mine is on a classic policy, £250 a year.

Fuel consumption: It's actually not bad off boost with a manual. The autos are 'bad', but I bet they're no worse than thrashing a turbocharged Celica will give you ;). It's certainly less thirsty than my 2.0 Subaru Legacy 4Cam Estate, and probably on a par with my dad's Outback (non-turbo) 2.5.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Because they only sold the 3.0i and 3.0i single turbo, manual and auto, in the UK. Anything else is either bodged or an import, and I'd prefer the latter to the former any day, but a real UK-spec car over either.

Most Mk III Supra twins are 2.5 or 2.0. Either a misprint, or someone has been playing with the engine. I'd be /very/ suspicious. The model designation appears to change for the different engines, so it presumably isn't an MA70, but a JZA70 or GA70 - designating the 2.5 Twin Turbo (1JZ series engine, very closely related to the Mk IV Supra) or the 1G-GE 2.0 engine. I can't even find a reference to a /real/ 3.0 Mk III Supra Twin Turbo, though I know people build them up.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Where the hell are you waiting for? Get one (or better still: get both!)

It's hard to believe but are we speaking about the same kind of car? Supra bi- turbo 330 HP latest model?

About the only logical reason I can imagine is that Japan (and in consequence the UK) have had bi-turbo's of the previous model (which was available here in atmosferic and (singe) turbo version).

There must be a catch somewhere.

Off course I wish the latest model Supra's in de the UK were at 1350 UKP.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

They'll be the 1JZ engined Mk III Supra. Nothing amazing about the prices for a 14 year old, probably grotty, import. There's a white one with spectacularly foul red interior on eBay at the moment for £600. With a lovely digital dash and TEMS suspension.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Thx, Richard: that confirms a lot. That ain't the Supra bi-turbo I was referring to. There are some on Ebay.UK and their prices are a bit lower than here but not much.

MKIII bi-turbo was never imported around here.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I'm all for running any car into the ground, classic or not. By running it into the ground I mean using it and enjoying it. If it was something rare I'd make damn sure it was *very* well maintained, and I might even obtain a complete engine rebuild kit so that I could do a full rebuild to make it like new again should the need ever arise.

Ages ago on the telly I saw a programme about a Roller the Queen owned, and that had a complete engine rebuild kit beneath the seating, just in case it needed new big end bearings at the side of the road or sommat!

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's just running it. Running it into the ground - IMO - is running the car until something big breaks then killing it, not fixing it :/

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

?
Reply to
Theo

Right, not much of a Japanese car expert myself, prefer the older German stuff. Still quite fancy one of these due to the typical early '80s style.

Reply to
Depresion

Don't worry, Tim's asleep. Of course my Supra can do 0-60 in 9.4 seconds. Just. I think that the actual time is supposed to be 8.5 seconds, but it's old and not running perfectly.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB