Tarting up manky alloys

A while back, someone posted a way to make tatty alloys look half decent on the cheap using rattle cans and elbow grease. I'm damned if I can find the post though.

In a nutshell, the original alloys on the MX-5 are looking a bit tatty. No kerbing, a lot of ground in brake dust and general surface corrosion. I want to tart them up , but I don't want to shell out £50 a corner to get them done professionally. I don't mind a weekend in the shed doing them myself . What's the best way to get a reasonable result?

ta

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

if you want a quick job try this

Vamp

Nitromors to get all the existing shit off, quick sand with some 600 grit wet and dry, acid etch primer, some normal primer to get a bit of build. If you're fussy, sand the primer with some 800, then topcoat it.

Some wheels are a mare to spray but I think MX-5 ones aren't too bad a shape. I've always thought rigging up some sort of turntable like they use for glazing pots would be a good idea.

I'd be interested to know how long the finish lasts.

Reply to
Doki

Call in at an industrial blasters/powdercoaters and ask someone 'round the back how much for all 4 blasting and coating. Point out you don't need a receipt and they should do 'em for £20 each, I know my local one does 'cos that's how much my last set cost :)

Powdercoating is IMHO a lot better and resiliant finish than paint ;)

And believe me, you'll be bored and aching before you've finished a wheel if you do it yourself, life's too short :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)