tdi tuning, any tips

well The audi has recently been graced with some new silicon yielding a not so insignificant 30 bhp and 25% torque gain. Whats the best next step to aim for.

For those not in the know its a VAG 1.9TDI pre PD standard output 110 bhp.

obviously i'm quite happy with the smidgen under 140 bhp that she has just now but i'm not sure what to target next.

Some say bigger injectors some say a hybrid turbo whilst others say headwork.

It isnt an RS Turbo or a LET so i'm pretty much stumped.

I was thinking along the lines of a quick port/polish getting the elbow off the turbo and removing the restrictions there and a replacement intercooler.

but c'mon guys floors open ridicule mock or advise as appropriate

Reply to
Rob

Bigger injectors and a hybrid turbo. Just how much power are you after?

Reply to
Depresion

I'd be happy with 140bhp from an non PD 1.9 diesel - add water/nitrous/propane for serious overtaking nonsense but I would be concerned about the cooling system being designed to handle much more power than you've just given it if you were looking at more than just burst power.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You'll get 160bhp with the stock head and cam, but you'll need bigger (i.e.

130bhp injectors) and a hybrid turbo to get it. Front mounted intercooler very desirable too.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Stop worrying about the engine output and consider getting the poke to the road. See if you can get another transmission for the 1.9 TDI engine with a shorter final drive (or heh the final drive). Lowering the gearing will give you better heave in the gears. It'll also reduce your top speed.

Oh and find some lightweight alloy wheels too.

Reply to
DervMan

mmmm Rally slag dymags mmmmm

i'd rather keep gearing as is for the good economy :) he he he (must be getting old) but just want a bit more kick :)

i say bhp but torque is king (nigh on 300 nm atm ) but i want more

Reply to
Rob

But if you start farting about with turbochargers and what not, you'll:

One, ruin economy anyway, even on a run. Two, spend a lot more money.

You know it makes sense!

129 foot pounds. What's that, just over 170 Nm or so, from the Honda engine?

Mind you... 134 bhp, if one believes Honda.

Reply to
DervMan

On that note why is it so hard to find out just how heavy wheels are? I use

but it's American so half the wheels aren'treally available here and half of the UK wheels aren't listed.

Reply to
Depresion

Tell me about it! It's annoying.

Bathroom scales work. Kermy's old 5.5J 13s were 11.2 kg with the tyres in place.

Reply to
DervMan

Not much use when buying on line. No mater what wheels I'm looking at my monitor is always the same.

Reply to
Depresion