Temptation...

1993 Mercedes 300TE. In Black, with leather. £1600 (£2,500 with a new exhaust and the rear suspension sorted).

*want*

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Richard

I've got one - 1988 300TE.

Check:

Rear suspension - the shock absorbers are liquid filled. Replacements are £500 new or £75 recon/s/hand Driveshafts - I snapped one in December - £500 gone Ensure the engine's been serviced properly - if not budget £500.

Otherwise, enjoy. You'll easily beat any boy racer as he's humbled. The

7-seater is great and they can fit a pair of double wardrobes!

David

Reply to
David Lane

I used to own a 200TE - very basic indeed but I've loved W124s ever since. Good to know about the £75 recon shock absorbers, £500 sounds about right for what the 200 needed when it was about six years old (so done at a dealer). Never heard about the driveshaft issue - how would I know if it was about to go, anyway - unless it's the UJs?

Nice thing is, it's a plastic-clad model and there's no rust - my 200 had spots in the rear 1/4s inside, no sign anywhere. Engine seems sweet, but the history tails off 5 years ago. No chain rattle, but some whine from ancilliaries - I'm thinking a dry alternator bearing but didn't spend enough time with it to investigate more. Should've seen the bloke's face when I opened the bonnet fully!

No rattles, knocks or smoke - I think I'm probably better off with the

300TE lump than I am with the Supra.

Now I just need to get my dealing hat on and acquire it!

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

If the water pump is noisy, or the exhaust is blowing, budget accordingly

Water pumps are known for failing, they're around £70 Downpipes are expensive, as are middle boxes.

Other than that, they're ace. Anything over £1500 is overpriced though.

Oh, if you get one, I've got a BoL for one here.

Reply to
Pete M

Think the water pump is alright, but £70 is fine if it's going. Coolant was spot-on.

Depending on what deal I can strike: It needs a backbox and pipe; £250/worth apparently. I'd be inclined, if the rest of the car checked out okay once I had it on a ramp, to go for a stainless system.

You think? Admittedly I'm swayed by the colour, leather and autobox (okay - 300TE with a manual, what are the chances?).

Haven't got it yet. I'm aiming for it and £2,500 for my Supra and Subaru (he should bite my hand off. The Subaru is a '99 Outback, and they're £6K+ in the paper. It hasn't lost any coolant since I got it, either).

That's with it MOTd, but I don't give a rat's ass if the MOT has been obtained by filling the exhaust with gunk and yelling "Loook! A monkey!" just as the tester is going to examine the rear shocks.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I started with one of those - too slow for my liking. Ever since it got written off (I was stationary and the guy who hit me was doing 70. My car had a minor dent, his was 4' shorter) I thought "I'll have another, but faster". In Sport mode you'll easily notice the difference. I travel regularly on the M1 and M40 and I'm always in the outside lane.

Neither did I, until I snapped one.

That's good - the front wings are always an issue though. But they're cheap to replace as they're bolt-on. The only major cost difference is that some of the parts come from the S-class in the 300 engine.

Yep - thousands of German taxi drivers would agree.

David

Reply to
David Lane

Yup, my lovely 260E was having problems getting £550. That had leather, auto, cruise, new exhaust, etc.

IF it drives "loosely" don't buy it, not for that money. If it's got a knackered exhaust, and bladdered rear shockers, I'd walk away, seriously.

Reply to
Pete M

*snort*

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

But that was a saloon, not an estate. Big different in demand, but they're just as good.

The 2.6 engine has had a few faults and critics though.

David

Reply to
David Lane

Yep, but yours was a: a saloon, and b: jewish racing gold. I checked eBay, the TEs are fetching sensible money, and most I found had >160K on them too.

Honest, if your car had been a TE, I'd have been after it a long time ago. I just don't see the point in owning a saloon car.

Well, for the big money, it has those sorted. Rear shockers are going to cost me less than the Supra's planned engine rebuild, and if I get a rust-free 300TE in a colour I like, I'm having it until it dies.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK