Test drives

Popped over to my local VW dealer today to have a look at the Passat and Jetta.

Initially, I was stuck between going for the bigger Passat, in 2.0TDI SE spec, or the Jetta in 2.0TDI SE DSG trim.

They gave me a test drive in a Jetta with the 2.0TDI lump and a 6 speed manual, followed by a run in a Touran with DSG (although it was only a

1.9TDI).

I have to say that the DSG 'box is an incredibly good bit of kit - once the car order form arrives, I'll be getting myself a Jetta TDI SE DSG. Not decided if I want a 1.9 or 2.0 yet - both would be perfectly fine for my use, but it will all depend on the tax cost and how much my personal contribution would be towards the 2.0.

Anyway - the DSG box. It's a bit odd initially, as it feels a bit fluffy at low revs - certainly doesn't dump the clutch as fast as most drivers will, but once it sorts itself out, it's fine. Sport mode allows you to floor the throttle right up to the redline, 'normal' mode block changes gears and slips the clutch so it feels more like a traditional auto.

Slipping it over into 'tiptronic' mode was fun, but I don't really see the point when the Sport mode is good enough for most people.

Is it worth the extra cash over a manual? - probably not, but I'm happy to trade a Passat for a Jetta to get it.

Reply to
SteveH

Hmm, I'll be in the same position as you shortly. I too was thinking of getting a higher spec Jetta rather than a low spec Passat. I was also toying with the idea of a Saab 9-3 Vector Sport TDi 150, have you looked at those? They do a 120 too, lower emissions and obviously cheaper, but probably a bit gutless. Then there's the fact that it's a Vectra underneath, but I'm not entirely sure whether that's such a bad thing.

Then my heart tells me to look at ST3's (huge emissions, stupid 5 cylinder), Golf GTi's, Astra SRi (can't have VXR, gotta be 4/5 door), and cars of that ilk. But the emissions on them will cost me quite a few beers a month. So the head wins. Diseasel it will be...

I was in Caledonia (Alfa Dealer) in Warrington the other day, and a 147JTDm caught my eye. But then I remembered what a f****it the service manager there had been and where I'd have to take it for service every couple of months, and thought better.

So, I've narrowed it down to:

Passat/Jetta/Golf TDI Saab 9-3 Vector Sport 120/150 TDi Audi A3 TDi (or maybe even a 1.6FSI kitted up S-Line stylee) Alfa 147 Lusso JTDm

Depending on what I go for, there might be some personal contribution from me too. But, they've stipulated if I go for something over budget and contribute myself, and I then leave, I would have to pay the rest of my contributions for the term of the lease (3 years). So, probably not a good idea.

Anyway, ramble over.

Reply to
getbent

No, because I'm working for a German company who only give you a choice of German cars.

I'd go: Jetta, Passat, Golf - in that order. Although the Jetta is essentially a booted Golf, the Jetta is much nicer inside. The Touran I tested seemed a bit cheap in comparison with a Jetta, and the Golf interior is very much like the Touran interior.

Good engines - rebadged Alfa JTD lumps. Not sure about the rest of the car though.

I'm limited to diesel, but I don't think an A3 is worth the premium over a Golf.

Well, obviously, this would be my choice if I could have one.

I want DSG, but I'm not sure it's on the list for anything as things stand. I'm currently awaiting an email from fleet services with the list of cars allowed and an order form. Once I get that I'll give the fleet people a bell - apparently the Jetta hasn't (yet) hit the list, but I might still be able to swing it by speaking with fleet services rather than going via Human Resources.

If they won't do me a Jetta, I might look at a Golf GT TDI DSG - 'cos I know the Golf is definitely on the list, although might not be in DSG form.

Reply to
SteveH

Back to a pikey supermarket then?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

*shudder*

No.

Reply to
SteveH

Ahh, surely that's racist? Sue 'em! ;)

It's a GM engine isn't it? Developed in-hand with Fiat/Alfa?

Heh, yeah. I'm trying to deal with the lease company rather than our HR people. The list HR gave us had coupes/convertibles/4x4 vehicles on, none of which we are allowed.

I fancied one of them, but I think they didn't get a good reception in the motoring press. I think the general concensus was that you'd be better off with the GTi as the GT TDi was nearly as expensive? But then, different story for a fleet user I guess.

Reply to
getbent

Heh.

That's political spin - the JTDs are pure Fiat / Alfa.

About par for the course.

Now, there's an idea. VW Eos ;-) (I think it's excluded due to the boot being too small to do my job, though)

Hmmm, yes, as a fleet user, derv rules. There is no petrol alternative offered.

OT: They're dragging their feet over the list and order form, they promised they'd email it to me today. I want to get the order in ASAP, but I don't suppose it's a big issue as my hire car is being delivered on Sat. 8th.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, well you would say that. ;)

Heheh, i'd be more for the S2000 if they were allowed. I've driven an 04 Accord Sport for the last three years, just coming up to 76k and it's faultless. Except for it being extremely boring and uninvolving. I'd like to stay Honda but there range is a bit limited. I wouldn't have another Accord for the boredom reason, and the new Civic is extremely common already.

Reply to
getbent

Oh no, not ALDI? too pikey for Iceland?

Reply to
Elder

No.

I'm having to explain this to loads of people, including the VAG fleet sales guy today.

'The biggest company you've never heard of'

Hint: German, biggest coffee company in Europe, but also sell non-foods.

Sounds a bit like the sound you make when you sneeze ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

If you work for ALDI you get an Audi A4 TDI. I know there are 2 or 3 different colours, but I don't know if they let you choose.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I can see that being the giveaway clue. Cue everyone going through all the names of companies they've never heard of... :-P

-- "For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yeah, and rhymes with "cheapo".

Their coffee is s**te, I'll stick with Illy. Anyway it's only spelt the way it is because the krauts can't pronounce "cibo" properly.

Reply to
Steve Firth